× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Seafair Phaeton needs freshing

• Charlie_N
  • Charlie_N's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
11 months 3 days ago #29762 by Charlie_N
Charlie_N created the topic: Seafair Phaeton needs freshing
This boat has been in the family since 1964. Originally with twin 35 hp outboards, then in 1985, needed lots of work to bring it back. Changed to 105 hp Chrysler, then 115 Johnson. Been a great boat for many years. Used it at the lakes and in the Sea of Cortez for water skiing, fishing, diving, just being on the water. In about 2000, we moved on to a larger boat and I gave it to my son to use. He used it mostly for water skiing, then one of his buddies bought a real ski boat and it has sat idle for the last 5 years. Now it needs refurbishing again. Paint, inside and outside, seats, get the motor running again, all the usual stuff. Nothing major I hope.
I will keep the group posted on the progress.
Charlie N
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie_N
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #29763 by Charlie_N
Charlie_N replied the topic: Seafair Phaeton needs freshing
One of the first things I needed to do was get the engine running. The boat is not worth much without a good running motor. It is a 1977 Johnson 115-4 cylinder with power tilt and trim. I cleaned all the terminals and installed a fresh battery, then rigged a fuel can for gas.
The first thing I found was a crack in the fuel pump. It shot gas all over when I used the primer blub. I happened to have a spare, so I installed that but the fuel inlet was close to a 3/8 inch. I had some very pliable 5/16 inch but it kinked when I connected from the pump to connector. I then formed a hard line to make the 180 degree turn with 2 short flex pieces to connect it up. Seems to work so far.
I next thing I noticed was the started motor flopping around. Turns out the tab on the side of the motor has broken which sheared one of the other bolts and only left one bolt holding it in place. I rewelded the tab, managed to extract the broken bolt, then reinstalled the repaired motor. The motor turned over but would not start. The starter turned it over slower and slower. I tried a couple different batteries and cleaned all the battery and ground connections. Still the same. My conclusion is the starter motor. Next week I will get it rebuilt and see what that does.
The engine has always been a little temperamental in starting the first time. Seems to have spark and gas. Any suggestions as to why and how to make it easier starting?

Charlie N
Attachments:

• Charlie_N
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #29766 by Charlie_N
I got the starter motor rebuilt and it turns the engine over nicely. It took a little more messing but with fresh gas, freshly charged battery and a little squirt of gas in the cylinders and it fired right up. It idles nicely, revs easily and pumps water. I greased the linkage on the side of the motor and took apart the control box and greased that.
I also decided to replace the water pump impeller just to have one made in this century. The local marine supply happened to have one in stock.
I found I have some of the rubber edging left from the 1980s rebuild and will try to use some of it. Stored inside in a plastic bag, it still is very pliable.
Now to decide what to do next? Outside, inside, fresh paint, upholstery, what?

• Charlie_N
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
10 months 1 week ago #29769 by Charlie_N
I decided to repack the wheel bearings next. I ended up replacing all the bearing and races. They all had some amount of corrosion on them. The seal has always been poor on the axle. I tried replacing the seals but I am finding the axle sealing surface is non standard. Maybe that is why they don't seal well. Back to the bearing place to see what else they have tomorrow.
Charlie

• Charlie_N
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
10 months 19 hours ago #29776 by Charlie_N
On to upholstery. In the process of making new seats. The backing is plywood. I will try to reuse the seat back plywood but all the seat bottom plywood was pretty much shot. I sure there is something better that plywood but it is cheap enough. Will seal with polyester resin and epoxy paint.
One of the little brackets to hold the seat backs in place was loose so I decided to take it off and tighten it. Course by the time I got the T nut off there was a big hole in the wood. Glasspar couldn't find stainless steel T nuts back then either. 30 years since the last rebuild and I found some SS T nuts at the Ace hardware. I had them order a whole box, still not sure of the cost. It does appear as if plated brass 1/4 bolts were used to hold everything together.

Charlie N
Attachments:

• Charlie_N
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
9 months 5 days ago #29780 by Charlie_N
It has been a little slow lately with too many other things to do. I finished all the wood seat backs and got them down to the upholstery guy. Turns out to be the same guy that did them 30 years ago. He does look a little older. Removed the gas tanks and sanded and painted them. Used a rust encapsulator then some Ace Rust Stop white paint. Need to sand the old flaking epoxy paint off the inside of the boat. Something I am not looking forward to.

]
DSC_0124 (640x426).jpg[/attachment)[attachment=14514]DSC_0124 (640x426).jpg[/attachment)
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds