× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon original Glasspar engine brackets

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 1 week ago #29653 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
I'm done with the transom for now. The rotted areas have been dug out and the resulting voids filled in; the structure strengthened and all the holes patched. There is more work to be done on the transom, but it won't deteriorate further now, so I am going to work on other areas and come back to this.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #29654 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Jerry what product did you use to stabilize the deteriorating wood and what did you use for filler.
Jack

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 1 week ago #29655 by Jayarrgh
Jack, Repairs to the transom were done using a general purpose marine epoxy and wood flour as a filler to make a paste. After the rotted areas were cleaned out and where there were sizeable voids, I cut pieces of plywood to fit the hole and glued those in place with lots of paste, then covered the whole inside transom upper area with 1/4" plywood. The lower part of the transom had only some minor surface de-lamination. I sanded it smooth and covered it with epoxy and FG cloth to seal it.

Jerry

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
3 years 11 months ago #29723 by Jayarrgh
Not a lot of progress to report but I continue to work on it. Just routine, mundane stuff but that's what restoring vintage boats is mostly about. Now then, I wanted to remove the left over junk under the dash and the remaining bow fittings which were all through-bolted (these are the original Glasspar parts and are mounted with brass bolts, washers and nuts). However, access to the under side of the bow deck was blocked by the bow flotation chamber / package shelf.

Nothing else I could do but cut out that chamber so I could fit under there. I originally thought this was a structural piece but I found it was only a thin fiberglass section, no reinforcing at all. I plan to replace this but I want to make it removable since I will need to get under the bow again. That re-work will probably not be airtight. Since it was open to the double bottom, I added a bulkhead to seal off the under cockpit floor area from this bow compartment.

There are several things that I want to do under the bow deck. To actually get up there and work comfortably, I made a temporary platform that reaches up to the peak of the bow. Now access is good, I can slide in and out easily. In addition to working under the bow deck, I have started filling in the many holes in the deck. That is going to keep me busy for awhile.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #29724 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Can't you find a skinny neighbor kid to slither under the bow?
Work looks good, as always.
Jack

More
3 years 11 months ago #29727 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
JR,

You're making it too easy but actually you should put some padding on that platform.

The Sedans also have a box forward that extends in under the chain locker.

I did not realize it was part of the flotation system. But if airtight that makes sense. The more air the better.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds