× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon original Glasspar engine brackets

More
4 years 3 months ago #29414 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Tri-Five Avalon
I remembered that about 4 am.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #29468 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Hey Jerry,

Had a chance to go down to see my friend Bill and check out his Glasspar collection.

The 60 Sunliner transom took a hit a couple years back when he ran over a tree truck. And the floor was shot so that boat is at the bottom of his list.

Bill also has the 58 Avalon seen above so it was interesting to see the differences in design between the 57 and 58 models.

The 57 Avalon Zombie boat is stored inside now but I was able to get some decent shots of the boat and also took the dimensions you requested.

This boat is beautiful although the hull is compromised by a crack running on the starboard side just above the keel. The floor is cut out now and its apparent the matting was not overlapped and the only thing that held it together was the gel coat on the outside and pools of resin inside.

The 58 Avalon looks solid and he was courting the idea of taking the top deck and off the 57 and putting it on 58 hull.
Easier said than done and he agrees and now is talking about just putting the goggles on the 58.

Thanks,
Terry

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #29469 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Terry, thanks for the pics! :cheer: And a big thanks for getting those dimensions. :woohoo: Comparing the pics really shows the differences between the first and second series Avalon. The '58 got a lot more of those stylized unique fittings that I was talking about. Bill Tritt (probably him) must have really liked designing fancy hardware for Glasspar boats in the 50's. The windshield on the '58 looks to be plexiglass instead of tempered glass, is that right? Apparently, buyers had the option to get either version with the tempered glass costing some $40 more. Doing a windshield transplant 57 to 58 makes sense to me, tho I'm probably prejudiced. I am sorry to hear that '57 Avalon has those problems. Any idea what he is going to do with the hull if the goggle eye windshield goes to the '58?

thanks again
-JR (Jerry)

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #29470 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
JR,

Yes that is plastic and is a TaylorMade which I have seen on other Avalons as well.

Bills intention is to restore the 57 back as original so the windshield transplant would be temporary.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #29586 by Jayarrgh
The cockpit floor is now installed. :cheer: It is 3/8th inch marine ply taped and glued with epoxy then covered with 12 oz fabric. On this boat, I decided not to build in a bilge sump. The tri-five Avalons were a relatively simple design. They did not have any bilge sump or means to pump out the hull other than the water channels down the sides of the floor leading to the drain plug on the starboard side of the transom. It also does not have a splash-well, so a sump hole in the floor would stick out like a sore thumb. Having no sump simplifies the re-build process so I can move on to other areas. Later on, if I decide a sump/pump is needed, I can easily add them in.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #29587 by Jayarrgh
Ebay comes through again. I have been looking for the stern trim pieces that hold the rubrail in place for some time. I kept looking on ebay, not really expecting to find any. After all, there were only a few hundred of them made 60 years ago and installed on Avalons that went all over the world. Not many Tri-five Avalons survive today so I thought my chances were slim but I kept looking. Then a pair showed up! Note I also got a Bill Tritt patented cleat as part of the deal. So I just want to mention again, for those odd parts you never think you will find... keep checking ebay. You might get lucky. :)

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds