× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 4 months ago #29379 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Terry,

I mentioned previously that I thought the 58-60 Avalon's had a wider rubrail. I just found this post relating to a '59 Avalon:
classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=co...d=26464&limitstart=0 .
The posted pic shows a rubrail 2 inches wide while, as I said, the one on my '56 is only 1 3/8 inch wide. If that pic is of the original rubrail material, then that would be evidence of a wider version on the second series Avalon.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #29380 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
-JR
Good example and by everything I see you are correct in that the earlier boats had a narrower profile for the rub rail.
I was not able to see the guy in WI at the show with the late 50’s Avalon. He had trailer problems and showed up after everybody went out cruising. Although I do have a picture of his boat with the new rubber installed.

The top left is the 1G LG which we believe is the old style Avalon rub rail and did not fit his boat.
Top right is the 1¾ G6 and is what he reordered and is now on the boat.

He says he can make you a deal on the 1G LG if you are interested.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 4 months ago #29382 by Jayarrgh

Terrydi wrote: -JR

He says he can make you a deal on the 1G LG if you are interested.

Thanks,
Terry

Okay, maybe we can make a deal. I will be needing that rubrail version eventually to finish my Avalon. :)

-JR (Jerry)

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 4 months ago #29410 by Jayarrgh

glassfrompass wrote: Ya I ran in to that exact same thing with this one. I cut out just beyond where the dull thumping with the hammer stopped(rot). The rest was solid as a rock so contrary to my original plan I never did cut any further. i have the stringers built 3/4" below original deck level and I have a single piece 3/4" thick ply(that i can barely lift) cut to fit right in there flush. Here's a pic from awhile ago before the plywood. i have the plywood piece just sitting in there now while i scratch my head. It's solid as all get-out but not the way i would have preferred to do it --oh well,
tom

Tom,
I have been too busy to get much done on the Avalon, but I have been thinking about your new deck. I did not consider doing my new deck as an insert because of previous bad experience with butt joints. Lap joints are always stronger so that was the way I went. In your boat, that nice stringer set with multiple cross pieces and the 3/4" deck will be strong as a bank vault door. No need to worry about the joint to the old deck. I think you can just seal the joint with epoxy putty and cover the whole deck with a layer of fiberglass cloth or mat. Should be good to go.

The other floor issue I have been kicking around in my brain is "crown". I was told that Glasspar put a slight crown in the early boat floors to cause water to drain to the sides and then back aft along those "channels" I mentioned. My boat floor was too far gone to check that but it makes sense. With a 3/8" plywood floor panel, I can bend it into a crown tho it would mean putting in some shims on top of the new stringers. I don't know yet if I'm going to do that.

-JR (Jerry)

More
2 years 4 months ago #29411 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Jerry is this what you need?
Jack
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 4 months ago #29412 by Jayarrgh
Jack,

The windshield I want for the Tri-five Avalon is this one:

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds