× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #29328 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
-JR,

My friend Bill with the Zombie boat says he will bring it to my house so I can get you some good pictures and dimensions on the windshield frame.

I was at a ACBS workshop last week and saw some great Shepherds with beautiful wood windshield framing.

Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29332 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon

Terrydi wrote: -JR,

My friend Bill with the Zombie boat says he will bring it to my house so I can get you some good pictures and dimensions on the windshield frame.

Terry

Terry, that is great news!
Thanks,

-JR (Jerry)

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29339 by Jayarrgh
New stringers are in. They have been either replaced or sistered to what remained of the original piece. Only parts of the original stringers remained but there was enough left to suggest that no cross piece was used. I added one in because the floor is over 11 feet long. I will need to use two pieces of plywood and the cross piece provides a place to put the joint. When I was in high school, I worked summers in a lumber yard. At that yard, marine plywood was stocked in 8 and 12 foot lengths of just 3 or 4 thicknesses. A customer could order 14 or 16 foot panels of marine plywood and get them delivered in a few days. It was all Douglas Fir, of course, but it was grade AA or AB meaning a completely defect free surface on at least one side. With their production levels, Glasspar could have certainly have been buying plywood panels long enough to span the whole floor of an Avalon in one piece.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago #29340 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Hello JR,
Are you going to place the new plywood decking inside the cutout and butt up to the old? --or are the new pieces larger than the cutout and will lay over the old, going further outboard to join up with the sides? --or neither?

I ask this because I have a project at about the same stage with new stringers and foam and am trying to decide the best way to mount the plywood decking(floor). The last time I did one of these I went over the old lip and all the way to the sides, but on that boat I had cut out the old decking much wider almost to the sides. Not so on this one, it's more like yours in the picture.

One nice thing about your plywood decking being in 2 pieces: it will be easier to get in there and work with each piece without being on it. Mine being all 1 piece is very difficult first of all just to get it in there, then even more so once its in there to try to work with it because im standing on it, there is no where else to stand to get my own self out of my own way. --if you can picture that?

Thanks, and good work,
tom

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29341 by Jayarrgh

glassfrompass wrote: Hello JR,
Are you going to place the new plywood decking inside the cutout and butt up to the old? --or are the new pieces larger than the cutout and will lay over the old, going further outboard to join up with the sides? --or neither?

I ask this because I have a project at about the same stage with new stringers and foam and am trying to decide the best way to mount the plywood decking(floor). The last time I did one of these I went over the old lip and all the way to the sides, but on that boat I had cut out the old decking much wider almost to the sides. Not so on this one, it's more like yours in the picture.

One nice thing about your plywood decking being in 2 pieces: it will be easier to get in there and work with each piece without being on it. Mine being all 1 piece is very difficult first of all just to get it in there, then even more so once its in there to try to work with it because im standing on it, there is no where else to stand to get my own self out of my own way. --if you can picture that?

Thanks, and good work,
tom

Hi Tom,

I thought I might have to explain my plan for the floor. It is kind of complicated, so bear with me. On my Sunliner, the old floor came up easily, right out to the lip of the indent in the hull where the floor fits. On this ancient Avalon, that was very much not the case. I crudely cut what remained of the old floor intending to carefully remove the rest. But that original floor is so well bonded to the hull with resin and fiberglass that it is like one part. To open it up to the lip would require a surgical level cut both horizontal and vertical all the way around. I may enjoy doing boat resto projects but that task would exceed my fun level. So my plan changed to putting a new floor right where it is supposed to be but on top of the edges of the old one. The new stringers are made to fit the new floor height. The only down side of this plan (that I can see) is the floor would be a bit higher than the original. The original floor is 3/8" ply so using the same thickness for the new floor, it will now be 3/4 " above the lip in the hull. The only place that will show is around the edges but since the edges are a drain channel to the stern, this actually should work better for that.

Yeah, the Avalon has a real deep V hull up forward, If you put the floor all the way out to the hull you would lose several inches of inside depth. I know very well the problem of putting in a floor when you have nowhere to stand. For my Sunliner floor I did it in three pieces. But those were a good deal wider than the Avalon floor, so I figure I can do it with just two pieces here.

-JR (Jerry)

More
2 years 7 months ago #29342 by glassfrompass
Replied by glassfrompass on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Ya I ran in to that exact same thing with this one. I cut out just beyond where the dull thumping with the hammer stopped(rot). The rest was solid as a rock so contrary to my original plan I never did cut any further. i have the stringers built 3/4" below original deck level and I have a single piece 3/4" thick ply(that i can barely lift) cut to fit right in there flush. Here's a pic from awhile ago before the plywood. i have the plywood piece just sitting in there now while i scratch my head. It's solid as all get-out but not the way i would have preferred to do it --oh well,
tom

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds