× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29321 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Terry,
The rub-rail version I posted for the Tri-Five Avalon should work on the 58-60 Avalon as well. The hull deck joint is the same and that extrusion looks like it will fit over it fine. On the later boats, the stern quarter fittings and the bow fitting (which hold the rub-rail in place on the earlier hulls) are different on the 58+, so they may not match up with the early rub-rail. I guess it is a case of try it and see how you like it. I would like to hear how well it fits... :unsure:

My concern for both versions of the rub-rail (if they are actually different) is that there is nothing to hold it in place over the tongue of the hull/deck joint for the entire length of the hull. A side impact of sufficient force could push it off the joint. It may have been glued on originally but I don't know what kind of glue would have been used. For my application, I don't want to use screws so I intend to glue it in place with 3M 5200 and see if that holds it .

-JR (Jerry)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29322 by Jayarrgh

Terrydi wrote: -JR,

Wefco has already shipped it so I guess we are gonna learn what this stuff looks like.

Is that a complete Wefco Catalog you show in that photo? Could you scan the pages that have Glasspar profiles and share those?

Thanks,
Terry

I only showed a portion of one page. There are many pages of profiles. All of them are on-line at the website wefcorubber.com/ . Unfortunately they are not identified as to manufacturers who used them. Go to Products - Extrusions - Marine - Rub Rails. The images are full size (supposedly), you can print the page and compare it with the original part if you have one.

-JR (Jerry)

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29323 by Jayarrgh
This is the stern quarter fitting on my Avalon that holds the rub rail in place. It is a fairly basic clamp that screws to the hull and does not have much styling. The problem is I only have one of them. I could really use another one, if anyone has one in their junk fittings box.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #29324 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
-JR

If it’s wider as you suspect it could be the 1 ¾ G6 at top right. If you could get the dimensions of what you have I will call Bill and ask him measure his 59.

Notice this flyer reads that these profiles are the most popular Glasspar extrusions. And with 10,000 profiles in house. No wonder they can’t find what I need.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29325 by Jayarrgh
The rub rail from my Avalon is 1 3/8 " wide and 3/4" high.

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #29327 by Jayarrgh
I got it registered this morning and it went like clockwork (25 min from walking in to walking out). I have been hearing horror stories about problems of registering boats without a title. For several weeks, I have been putting in new stringers and am almost done with that. Even though it will be a long time before it is ready to launch, I decided to try to register it at the DMV before I did any more work on it.

I found that the California DMV makes this relatively easy if you give them the right info. First off, get a Bill of Sale. You need this in the absence of a proper title. Next get Form BOAT 101. You can download it from www.dmv.ca.gov and fill it out at your leisure. The info that made my application go quickly was : It had once been a Calif registered boat. Proof of this was a CF number. Note that it was not in their system, which is a good thing because there are no conflicts (I was told the DMV only keeps a record for seven years after the last reg has expired). Next item was an HIN, in this case I used the Glasspar serial number. Once again, this was not in their system (OK). Having an HIN shortcuts the process since they don't have to generate one for you. The final hurdle was the purchase price or gift value. In my case, that was $0.00 which I knew would be questioned. When the clerk asked about it, I showed her a couple of photos of the boat, wrote a description of the condition and that was accepted. On the application, I described the boat as a 1956 Glasspar and that is the way the title will read. $47 in fees and it is done. :woohoo:

-JR (Jerry)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds