× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon original Glasspar engine brackets

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #29188 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon

edwardgrijalva6020 wrote: Yes I did Jerry, one of the many jobs I had working at the production plant in Santa Ana, before I transferred to R&D, was in the assembly department, and the first thing my foreman said to me was, make sure that all the screws, wood and metal bolts, all face the same direction, He said that it gave a finished boat a lot of class, and you know he was right. Just my 2 cents worth.

Eddie, that is exactly what my father told me when we were building our first boat together (I was eight). I remember that lesson well. That is the kind of old school craftsmanship that makes me feel certain people like you built this boat with care.

-JR (Jerry) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #29314 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Tri-Five Avalon
-JR,
This early Avalon came up on the other site. The guy lives on Lake Koshkonong and will probably get to see it at our show next month.

Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #29315 by Terrydi
I passed along your info on the rub rail.

Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #29318 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Terry, that Avalon is something of a conundrum. I know from the hull form, stern and trim that it is one of the follow-on series to the Tri-Fives and was made from '58 to '60. But they did not have back to back seats, so those were added later (??). Now the rub-rail for this series (from what little info I have ), seems to have been unique. The rub-rail on the Tri-Fives was Glasspar's first attempt at using a neoprene extruded part and I suspect it was prone to coming loose. It looks to me that in the follow-on series, they went to a wider extrusion for more grip to the hull. From the pic showing the stern quarter fitting, you can see how wide it was. But it still had to fit over the "T" shaped hull/deck joint. I'm thinking that rub-rail was not a success either because in the next series ('61 +) the hull and deck were redesigned and the rub-rail was held on with an aluminum track. With a track to hold the neoprene extrusion, they finally had a good solution. For the boat in your pictures, the owner could check with Wefco to see if they have an extrusion that would match or use the Tri-Five version IMHO.

For an example of what I think is the correct rub-rail, look at the pic you posted of Bill's '59 Avalon at the Midwest All-Classics Boat Show.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #29319 by Terrydi
-JR,
Yeah those seats threw me off course too and I suggested to the guy it was later and like Charlie’s 61.
The 60 brochure which is the last year for the original hull style does not mention back to back seating.

You may be right on that rub rail. You think on the 57 its narrower compared to this 58 and Bill 59?

Now I suggested he could use the 0001 G LG and he went ahead and ordered it. Oops!

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #29320 by Terrydi
-JR,

Wefco has already shipped it so I guess we are gonna learn what this stuff looks like.

Is that a complete Wefco Catalog you show in that photo? Could you scan the pages that have Glasspar profiles and share those?

Thanks,
Terry

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds