× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago #29150 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Tri-Five Avalon
Good catch Jack, Some more pics to add to my growing collection. Now I am just going to check out Google maps and see how far away that is.

-JR (Jerry)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #29154 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Tri-Five Avalon

16again wrote: Hey Jerry take a look at the Portland CL for glasspar. Has your name all over it.

For others following this thread, I believe this is the ad Jack is referring to:
bend.craigslist.org/boa/5475692733.html

George
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #29155 by Jayarrgh
Yes, that is it. Tri-Five Avalon, Calkins trailer, working outboard, extras including fishing gear plus the classic windshield. All good stuff. :cheer:

Note: There is evidence on the Avalon I have that the hull might have been that same sea-foam green originally.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #29172 by Jayarrgh
If you go poking around in old boats, you never know what you're going to find. In this case,I found a serial number in a place I did not expect. It is on the port side transom "handle". :woohoo:

Unfortunately it does not give me much in the way of new information. 16A310 is (probably) "16" feet, "A" Avalon, and "310" sequential hull number. No plant info unless you think "A" means Santa Ana. When Avalon production began, there was no other 16 foot model and only one plant. Thus, the "A" could mean either model or plant. No year of mfg either (unless it is 1953 with only two digits of hull number). However, a sequential hull number makes sense for a young company that did not know how long a new model would remain in production. But, if so, was that ever an underestimate. I believe Glasspar began producing Avalons in the fall of 1954 and continued on through all the Larson/Glasspar years ... there was an "Avalon" in the 1974 catalog. So at least 20 years of Glasspar Avalon boats! :whistle:

Just a side note: look at the screw heads. They are all pointing the same way. All the original screws are like that. That is quality workmanship. Eddie, did you have a hand in installing those? Nice work! :)

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #29175 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Tri-Five Avalon
-JR
And brass screws no less. Numbers in that location very interesting and just raises more questions.

Similar to Sam’s Lido and the number he found stamped on a handle.

All the variations we see is an indication they played fast and loose changed the rules as they went along.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago #29185 by edwardgrijalva6020
edwardgrijalva6020 replied the topic: Tri-Five Avalon
Yes I did Jerry, one of the many jobs I had working at the production plant in Santa Ana, before I transferred to R&D, was in the assembly department, and the first thing my foreman said to me was, make sure that all the screws, wood and metal bolts, all face the same direction, He said that it gave a finished boat a lot of class, and you know he was right. Just my 2 cents worth.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds