× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon When Bill was away......

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
3 years 8 months ago #28838 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic When Bill was away......
This is one of the most outrageous design for a boat, degrades the beauty of a Glasspar hull. It looks like Popeye Tug Boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #28847 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic When Bill was away......
Hello All,

A term commonly used today that can be applied here is repurposing. This guy wanted to go fishing and looks like he got some wood and cobbled him a center console and rigged it for some serious action. I’d bet that they caught a bunch of fish out there and had lots of fun on that old Glasspar.

Its looks to me as though she may have morphed through various stages. If you can picture it with just the bottom windshield and the angled side glass it really would not look so bad. Another scenario for that classic hull could have been the sawzall or burial at sea. But the Glasspar survived for another generation to do with it as they see fit.

A perfect example of this is in a boat I we saw up on Gull Lake at the ACBS show in Minnesota.

This awesome example of marine craftsmanship was built by the Alexander Graham Bell Labs in Nova Scotia.

The1929 Bell Labs Limousine ‘Tolka” has a fascinating history and is well documented.

See the website for the full story:
www.tolkaboat.com/

In the video the grandson of the original owner tells of taking a chainsaw to the boat to repurpose for water skiing. The boat wasn’t being used and his grandfather gave him permission to make it a boat the kids could work with and play with so out came the chainsaw. Peter Breen who did the restoration gives the grandson credit for the boat being here today in that he kept it going and kept it from sinking prolonging its usefulness.

Thanks,
Terry

More
3 years 7 months ago #28850 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic When Bill was away......
You're right, Terry! And thanks for offering that different perspective! This boat could have ended up in a landfill someplace, but got years more of use..and probably enjoyment.

Still maintain there's a difference between a good resto and someone just slapping together a hodgepodge of "customizing". My father tried to teach me: If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well. Perfect example in this Tolka!

Really trying not to be overly critical... :blush: :whistle:

George

• glassparman.admin
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
More
3 years 7 months ago #28886 by glassparman.admin
Replied by glassparman.admin on topic When Bill was away......
I actually like it! LOL, and that's coming from a Glasspar purist but a fisherman as well!

More
3 years 7 months ago #28890 by Terrydi
Hello Gus,

Welcome back to America.

How about this one for a unique center console Seafair?

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #28977 by Terrydi
and another ugly duckling

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds