× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1959 Trident restoration

• wuertz85220
  • wuertz85220's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28541 by wuertz85220
Replied by wuertz85220 on topic 1959 Trident restoration
Thank you for all of the advice George. Unfortunately I am well to aware of how much money goes into restorations. I can't even count how many motorcycles, Land cruisers, Volkswagens and other things I've had as projects and restored and spent way too much money. The justification for both myself and my wife for this is that we don't go out and spend a lot of money at bars or other types of outings. We have three small children and spend a lot of time at home so we justify our purchases and restoration/hobbies this way. Of course maybe I'm fooling myself but it makes me feel better to think of it this way.

I have to say that I laughed out loud when you mentioned checking the starting cord before pulling on it. I can completely imagine flying across the boat and falling out the other side. Just left again reading this.

I have noticed the cracked wiring installation especially when I pulled the top cover off and the solenoid wire cracked for the choke. When I first got it I pulled the plugs out and sprayed some WD-40 inside to loosen things up. The spark plugs look clean and the engine turns over nicely and has compression. I will be careful when starting it due to no neutral. My dad mentioned possibly taking the propeller off just so no one gets near it. As far as the key goes I do not have the key and I think it looks like the key cylinder is actually missing from the control box. I have started other vehicles with screwdrivers another message so I'm sure I can figure this out but I appreciate the recommendation for the Remote starter. New parts started arriving yesterday and the rest will come today hopefully over the weekend I will get the lower and put back together and have a chance to try to start it. I will let you know how things go. My overall plan is not really to completely restore the boat but to get it running and go have fun with it. I've learned that a real restoration takes tons of time and lots of detail work which I do not like.
Have a great weekend George. I will let you know how everything goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28542 by wuertz85220
Forgot to ask about this. I'm assuming that the system is 6 V?

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28543 by wuertz85220
Hey George, I also forgot to ask about where you attach the hose bib? I see that the water inlet is on the underside of the platform just above the propeller. I don't see any way to attach a hose bid or the Mickey Mouse ears.

More
4 years 6 months ago #28544 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 1959 Trident restoration

gwbell wrote: I hate to tell you, but by the time you're done with your restoration, you'll have spent many times over your purchase price. I tried not to share this too much with my wife when we were doing our boat... :pinch: :whistle:

George

George and wuertz86220,

Been there, done that more than once. A few years ago, I wrote a poem on this subject for another boat related website. You may find it fits this situation.

The Wife and The Boat Building Bills

A man should have a hobby
To keep him out of bars
Mine is building a boat
Other men work on cars

But it’s hard to explain
To the mother of my child
What I spent for that boat
Really wasn’t so “wild”

She insisted on a budget
To plan for what I spend
But I low-balled all the quotes
Now that’s a pain in my rear end

Cards, checks or cash
Wherever there’s a glint
There’s not much she misses
My pockets hold only lint

Last night I got a lecture
It’s really starting to pinch
She said that’s “College Money”
That I’m acting like a Grinch

Once I hid a big purchase
On another item’s bill
She missed it and I said nothing
Though it took an effort of will

But any bill I get away with
I can not show or flaunt it
I just know I’ll get caught
See, my wife is an accountant

-JR (Jerry) :lol:

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #28545 by wuertz85220

Just received all of the replacement parts for the lower unit of my outboard. Let the weekend begin!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #28546 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 1959 Trident restoration
wuertz - If you do take the propeller off, don't run it long. I've read where that isn't a good thing since no load is applied. Your motor uses a 12-volt battery; is an inline 6-cyl. The Mark 75's and 78's where the first inline-6 produced. These motors were later dubbed the "Tower of Power". I know...cool! B) Believe the correct term for the hose bib are "muffs". Never worked on a Mark 75A, so not exactly sure where your water inlet ports are. I've attached a pic when we were running the 1963 Merc 850 mounted on my son's G-3. You can see the muffs applied directly under the cavitation plate:

Jerry - Enjoyed your poem! Luckily my wife is not an accountant.

George
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds