× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Mama Mia! needs another coat

More
5 years 1 month ago #28318 by mvislander
Replied by mvislander on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Terry,

The roof looks fantastic!
I don't think I have patience or the know how to make mine look that great.
Right now I am just filling holes and sanding down the previous owners poor attempt at a paint job.
I think he didn't even bother sanding it in many spots.

Keep up the good work you will definitely have a show winner.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #28333 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Thanks Eddie,

I still am debating if that stripe is gel or paint. Maybe they just thinned gel coat and srayed it like you said. But the way it flaked off at the top there makes me think paint.

What I’ve learned about gel coating is there are two basic procedures.

The first is tooling which is applying the gel coat in a mold and then laminating fiberglass on top.

The second is repair or touch up. So I guess I’m repairing by replacing.

What’s interesting is I’ve talked to no less than a half dozen people that do this type of work and not one does it the same as the other guy. All say its important to get enough on so when sanded down you don’t sand through to the substrate and that means putting it on thick.

I talked to a guy that runs a shop making blades for wind mills. They mold the blades and put the gel coat on after pulling them out of the mold. They spray 3-coats of virgin gel and shoot for for 6-mil per coat. Then its sanded smooth and sprayed with 3-4 mil of a blend 50:50 gel and a hi gloss product. This thins it and now it sprays like paint. He says if they get right they are done at that point and just compound and polish.

So my intention here is to sand the deck smooth and then shoot the blend. Being an amateur I’ll be lucky if I get it right and will probably have to sand again.

Getting ready to paint the sheer stripe. Have it prepped and masked and ready to spray the polyurethane primer. Will then sand and top coat with black acrylic enamel. Also using a dulling agent to add to the enamel to take down the gloss a tad.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Chris.

I did that cabin top two years ago. The top was really bad so thought I would start with something smaller before tackling the whole deck.

I actually started with the hatch cover before I did the top. This was coated first with the virgin and sanded. Then sprayed with the hi-gloss blend and has not been sanded.

Terry

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
5 years 1 month ago #28335 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
One more thing I forgot to mention when spray painting gel-coat, after the last coat, we would spray a coat of Mold-release. Mold-release was a water base and when it dried, it was like saran, green in color. We used water to rinse out our spray gun and clean up. When we did not spray mold-release after a gel-coat touch-up or other spray jobs, the gel-coat would stay sticky and would not harden for a good wet sanding job if needed. Now don't forget this is 60 year old information, a lot has improved.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Eddie.

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
5 years 1 month ago #28336 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
One more thing, if you go to the boat galleries sites and check out my site, you can see my gel-coat spray finish and no wet sanding.

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #28337 by Terrydi
Hello Eddie,

Yes I’ve heard of that and I believe what you’re referring to is PVA. I know a guy that sprays it over all the gel after the last coat and he described as like a saran wrap to seal off as an aid to curing.

I remember when you first got your Sedan and it was pretty well trashed. What you did to turn it around was amazing.

I’ve looked at your pictures and that sure is a pretty blue gel coat and it looks smooooooth. I assume you thinned the gel before you sprayed and curious what you used and how much.

And Eddie 2-cents worth coming from and old pro like yourself is priceless.

Eddie and El Chululu

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
5 years 1 month ago #28352 by Terrydi
Hey All,

Making slow but steady progress. Got the primer and paint on for the stripe. Used as polyurethane primer and acrylic enamel topcoat. Added 7.5% flattener for a semi-semi gloss finish.

Terry
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds