× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Glasspar Serial Number Coding

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28491 by woodlund
Replied by woodlund on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Nope - L is not a 1 - it's an L

See attached:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28502 by RodB
Replied by RodB on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Got me. 60 and 61 Citations used 16X but not sure about 62 and up. If they changed to 16C then the 'A' would stand for the Santa Ana plant...earliest example of a state designator ('C' for Santa Ana, CA plant) versus city designator (A for Santa Ana, CA plant) and so on is 1964. Doesn't mean the change didn't take place a little earlier. 'L' I have no solid idea on. The '2' following the 'L' makes sense for a 1962 production boat. A '1' in place of the 'L' really doesn't add up to anything normal.
Very longshot guess....fold out lounge seats are listed as an option so possible that the 'L' signifies the optional seating? Does your Citation have fold up seats or fold out seats? That is referring to the front and rear facing seats up front.
Yes, George....I don't get to the boating forums as often as I used to. My loss. Not often I have anything to contribute when I do check in. Maybe this is an exception but strictly guesswork on my part in trying to make sense of the odd serial number.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28505 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Rod,

So nice to see you join in on this conversation! Your name comes up often and I recognize there really isn't anyone more knowledgeable about this subject as you!

Stick around, my friend, and again glad to see you post!

George

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
5 years 1 week ago #28506 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Right on George, I also miss Rod's comments, hi Rod, stay in touch with the boys.

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
5 years 1 week ago #28509 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Hello George and Rod, I contacted a old friend of mine from Southern California, also ex-employee from Glasspar, and we both came to the same conclusion concerning this serial number, 16CAL2186. The 16 is the length of the hull. CAL is for California, made in Santa Ana plant. The 2186 is just the serial number.
Anyway, just our 2 cents worth.
Eddie.

More
5 years 2 days ago #28528 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Okay...a little more confusion on this topic. Received the following email from Sam (1958 Sport Lido):

"George, I was looking at one of your posts from a while back on early boat id nbr breakdown and remembered a nbr I found on my boat last year when I was polishing all the hardware I removed from the boat. I found the nbr stamped on the inside aluminum 'backing plate' of the pull handles located on the outside of the transom, the nbr '145N1420' really doesn't fit the breakdown you have posted except it is a total length of '8' characters the same as yours. Also, do you know how these nbrs were stamped back in the 50's, the first 5 characters '145N1' are on the same plain and look to have been stamped first, the last three chars '420' are on a slightly lower plain which lead me to believe '420' is a serial nbr. What I know is this is a '14 ft Sport Lido so the '14' fits, the 'N' could be 'Nashville' and the '420' could be serial, what could the '5' in the model position and the '1' in the year position be. The people I got the boat from bought in GA from a guy who had it titled in Fla as a year '62' boat with a '58' motor, but of these dates were wrong according to all my research. I'll try and get a photo of this plate and send it to you today tomorrow. Thanks Sam"

I'm wondering since this number was found on a piece of hardware, was there a different numbering system for the hardware that was tied to the different models?

George
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds