× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Glasspar Serial Number Coding

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #28549 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
More information from Sam:

"George, when you look at the photos of the Hardware you will likely conclude as I did that it is not the 'hardware serial' number, if your producing a piece of polished aluminum hardware for a boat why would you deface it by stamping the part nbr on the face of it, have you seen other pieces of polished aluminum of chrome plated boat hardware with a part nbr stamped on it face like this. I believe this is indeed the boat ID nbr and I believe this boat was built in Nashville, its just too close to the format for the Glasspar ID nbr breakout you have posted. Could you post something to asked Lido owners to check these brackets on their transoms to see if these nbrs are on their boats. This could be the location used for the 1956,7,8 Lido series boats only, because all of them would have had this hardware on them in the same location, its worth a try. Sam "

"George, I believe I have figured out another piece of the puzzle in the boat 'ID' nbr stamped on my piece of hardware. If you go to 'Glasspar History' , select 'Historical Articles' and look at 'Model Years' for 56,57,58 you will see that the fifth model listed is a 'Sport Lido' which would verify that the '5' in the nbr on my piece of hardware is the boat Model. Now all I have left is to find out what the '1' is that is stamped in the year produced position, I'm now convinced that this is in fact the boat id nbr. Sam"

Any other early Lido owners that may confirm?

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #28575 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Sam,

A picture is worth a thousand words. Is there a number or (nbr) stamped on the opposite handle? Please show pictures of what you are referring to including the boat.

Thanks,
Terry

More
4 years 9 months ago #28763 by burrman
Replied by burrman on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
This is mine. 14XW60285 the boat is an early Marathon, I think a 1960. I'm not sure what the "X" is. Any ideas?
Thanks
Burr

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 9 months ago #28769 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Hello Burr,

Welcome to the GOA.

The X is a filler and don't mean jack although some numbers did indicate that symbol as the model. The W is for the Olympia Washington state plant.

You say its a 1960 and I would have to assume if that is the case that is what the 60 indicates and 285 is the production #.

If it is properly coded the boat is 1966 and the production # is then 0285.

There are many inconsistencies we have seen in the s/n coding. I believe it is simply errors made by the guy who had that stamping tool in his hand or in the information given to him.

How is the boat registered and what do you know of its history?

Thanks,
Terry

More
4 years 9 months ago #28776 by burrman
Replied by burrman on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
Hi Terry,
I don’t know much about the boat other than it’s a Marathon. The registration say’s it’s a 1965 but it doesn’t have the serial number on the title. The serial number plate was mounted on the front of the splash tub but the previous owner didn’t use it on the title. I’m in Washington state and he might have gone for a lost title with the licensing department, not sure why he didn’t use the SN. It also has the steering wheel on the left side from the factory; my guess is that was an option. Anyway the rebuild is coming along I’m almost ready to paint.
Thanks for the info and the welcome.
Burr

Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #29039 by vtail50
Replied by vtail50 on topic Glasspar Serial Number Coding
burrman,
I am in Oregon and just bought a 1960 Marathon. 14XW60288 so it matches up within 3 boats of your hull number. Makes sense that it would have come from the Washington plant into Oregon. Number and year is correct on the Oregon title and the plate was in the same location you described. Washington plant must have figured they needed two digits for the year code?? Now to find a period motor and restore this summer.
Bruce

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds