× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
5 years 4 months ago #27781 by AyeAyeCapn
Replied by AyeAyeCapn on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
Been away from the project a bit - pulled engine (homemade engine stand) and removed motor well and trim. Found wood between plastic about 1/3 powdery wet sawdust, pretty bad. Some is OK, bad on starboard side only (18-22 inches from side) Considered removing inner plastic skin and building up with maybe (3) plies of 3/8" or whatever it should be with filled epoxy to bond, using clamps. Then, I ran into a product called "Seacast" which can be poured into the hollowed out double glass skins, using spacers to maintain gap and clamping over spacers. Looked reasonable.

I recently found here comments about NOT using Seacast, but now I can't find the posts (can't find search function!) What's your thoughts about Seacast? Seems to me it would removed some variables vs clamping and bonding 3 layers of epoxy bonded plywood. Your thoughts and experience much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #27782 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

AyeAyeCapn wrote: I can't find the posts (can't find search function!)

See my post about missing tabs under website usage www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?optio...&id=26334&Itemid=535 .

-JR

More
5 years 4 months ago #27783 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon

AyeAyeCapn wrote: I recently found here comments about NOT using Seacast, but now I can't find the posts (can't find search function!) What's your thoughts about Seacast? Seems to me it would removed some variables vs clamping and bonding 3 layers of epoxy bonded plywood. Your thoughts and experience much appreciated!

Here's the results of a forum search on "Seacast":

classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=co...&catids=2&Itemid=554

Never having done this work myself, I have read many people using Seacast successfully.

I'll contact our webmaster, Michael McKinney, about the issue about the search function our members are experiencing. Hopefully he can resolve.

George

• AyeAyeCapn
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
5 years 4 months ago #27784 by AyeAyeCapn
I mysteriously got search back, and thank you for the link. All I found as a disadvantage was weight (how much?) and cost, but I decided to cut inner glass shell, remove wood, and rebuild. I'm ore partial to wood than polyester, anyway. Only the second "glass" boat I've ever owned, and that's a lot of boats.

More
5 years 4 months ago #27785 by rjcullis
Replied by rjcullis on topic Reinforcing the transom - 16' 1972 Avalon
I am not familiar with Seacast but I have built replacement transoms using plywood and epoxy resin and they are very good. A word to the wise. When attaching fittings to fiberglass with a core that can rot or be negatively affected by water...drill the fitting holes oversize and fill them with epoxy mix...then drill the correct size holes in the fiberglass plugs. This stops future rot issues. It seems like no matter what you do water finds it's way under fittings and follows the threads of the bolts or screws...given enough time the material around the bolts/screws rots. I have seen this too many times to mention...even when things were "well bedded down".

Lots of luck with your project,
Richard

• AyeAyeCapn
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
5 years 4 months ago #27786 by AyeAyeCapn
That's an excellent and important point about fasteners in the core under, or between, fiberglass. Another technique I learned many years ago was to use 3M 5200 to coat a screw before assembly. If small enough, actually insert the screw into the opening of the 5200 tube, 90% of the way up the threads. The 5200 seals the bore, acts actually as a lubricant when putting in the screw, and ironically, makes it easier to remove the screw some time in the future if necessary. An old trick by wooden boat repair folks. It's a great sealant around the threads. In a marine environment, I live by 5200, and PB Blaster.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds