× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair

• Aggie
  • Aggie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #27322 by Aggie
1960 Seafair Sedan Repair was created by Aggie
I am new to the site and recently picked up a 1960 Seafair Sedan. I just got done reading a post by John P, wow what a great post and detail on his restoration!!

My question is pretty basic. I want to remove the steering wheel and it is not coming off very easily and before I do any damage thought I would see if someone can give me a pointer on how it is secured? I took off the nut, the screw to the base and loosened the set screw. I have heard it is tapered shaft and before I start anything more aggressive just want to make sure it isn't secured by something else??

I attached a photo for reference.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #27323 by skyline223
Replied by skyline223 on topic 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair
I used an automotive steering wheel puller for mine. Most of the time some sort of puller is required to get the wheel off of the shaft.

It looks like there may not be a super simple way to attach a wheel puller to that wheel, I found this thread via google.. May be worth a read. Good luck!

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-foru...-wheel-off-its-shaft

More
6 years 5 months ago #27324 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair
Some kind of mechanical help is usually required for this job. Here is one more idea. If you have a small gap between the back of the wheel and the dash or bezel try a ball joint separator tool. It worked for me, though it did mess up the back of the wheel a bit.

-JR

Attachments:

• Aggie
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #27329 by Aggie
Replied by Aggie on topic 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair
Thanks skyline223, the link helped me out and I got it off!!

• Aggie
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
6 years 5 months ago #27330 by Aggie
Replied by Aggie on topic 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, knowing it was tapered made me feel much better about being more aggressive. I had to wedge myself between the steering wheel and the bow, get my knees behind the steering wheel, then then took a hammer and chisel and whacked the shaft as I pushed the steering wheel with my legs. Came off with a few pops and no damage!!

More
6 years 5 months ago #27332 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic 1960 Seafair Sedan Repair

Aggie wrote: I am new to the site and recently picked up a 1960 Seafair Sedan. I just got done reading a post by John P, wow what a great post and detail on his restoration!!

My question is pretty basic. I want to remove the steering wheel and it is not coming off very easily and before I do any damage thought I would see if someone can give me a pointer on how it is secured? I took off the nut, the screw to the base and loosened the set screw. I have heard it is tapered shaft and before I start anything more aggressive just want to make sure it isn't secured by something else??

I attached a photo for reference.

Thanks!

Aggie:

First off, WELCOME to the website! Second, I want to thank you for your nice comments concerning my thread on the "Refurbish Of Our 1960 Seafair Sedan."
I hope the thread will help you and others that are either refurbishing, or restoring these fine boats! FWIW,..I have done even more work to our Seafair since I last posted and need to get more pictures and descriptions up on it.

Anyway,...good luck with your Glasspar Sir!

John_P

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds