× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #29457 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

Well...that's a scary picture! :sick: Glad everyone is okay and your boat survived. Nice to hear you're still at it and that boat restoration is near complete!!

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #29464 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Hello Ian,

I am curious what broke.

Thanks,
Terry

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 1 week ago #29475 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Mainly the 4runner!
The boat was fine, outside of a couple of small gouges that i have faired out. I had to retighten the screws in the bulkhead, and the boweye had to be replaced.
Other than that the boat is fine!

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 1 week ago #29477 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
I have a question about weight placement. I have noticed that the boat bounces a lot in semi-rough water. It feels to be like i could mitigate this by shifting some weight forward. I'm curious to know what others experience is, and what has/can be done about it.
I have the Merc 115 on the back, which is quite a bit heavier then the original motor.
Both of my tanks are side tanks that sit mid cabin. Currently my battery sits underneath the splashwell, but i'm considering moving it to the center of the cuddy cabin. If i do this i would be using a 15' battery cable back to the engine, which i graded to a 2G cable. I'm considering adding a second battery which would put about 100 lbs in the bow area.
Any thoughts?

More
3 years 1 week ago #29478 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

Moving weight forward should help.

In your earlier post you said, “When i stopped the tow bar broke and the trailer rammed into the back of the car.”
I am curious what broke and why the safety chains didn’t stop the trailer from hitting the 4runner.

Thanks,
Terry

More
3 years 1 week ago #29479 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
I have a Sunliner which has the same hull but less weight forward (no cabin) and i drive it from midships. I also have two batteries midships, one port, one starboard and with the gas tanks aft So does weight forward make a difference in trim and balance, yes. But what do you mean by "bounce" ? Do you mean porpoising (short up and down pitching which can increase in magnitude and frequency without corrective action). That can be improved with weight forward but it may take a lot of weight shift to make it go away. A better solution to porpoising is to change the engine trim angle (to more bow down) and / or to add a hydrofoil to the motor anti-cav plate. Trim tabs would work too. If porpoising is not the issue, I will point out that Seafairs run bow high at speed and some smacking into waves is inevitable but the stepped hull is exceptionally good at handling that. Moving weight forward isn't going to change that much but it could make the boat handle better.

-JR (Jerry)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds