× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #28464 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Tons of progress made. We have launched the boat twice, first with an aux tank and yesterday using our full fuel system. We have dual 15 gallon reclaimed aluminum tanks that have on/off spigots going to a T and the fuel/water seperator. I am looking for an elegant way to run the kicker motor. The port tank has a ancillary fuel connector(picture below). I was looking to replace this piece with a newer Mercury fitting. Does anyone know where to get these?
We put in a NFB steering system that is working nicely. FIL made new kicker boards and a rear seat. Looking into different mounting ideas for the seat so that it can be removed if we need to get under the splashwell.
I will be doing some electrical work today and tomorrow, wiring the main power to my fuse box and connecting switches to the lights, horns, etc. I have a tach and speedometer ordered. I also got some color matched gelcoat to start patching and filling in chips.
Waiting on gasket material from Wefco to reinstall cuddy front windows
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #28465 by ianmoore
Tons of progress made. We have launched the boat twice, first with an aux tank and yesterday using our full fuel system. We have dual 15 gallon reclaimed aluminum tanks that have on/off spigots going to a T and the fuel/water seperator. I am looking for an elegant way to run the kicker motor. The port tank has a ancillary fuel connector(picture below). I was looking to replace this piece with a newer Mercury fitting. Does anyone know where to get these?
We put in a NFB steering system that is working nicely. FIL made new kicker boards and a rear seat. Looking into different mounting ideas for the seat so that it can be removed if we need to get under the splashwell.
I will be doing some electrical work today and tomorrow, wiring the main power to my fuse box and connecting switches to the lights, horns, etc. I have a tach and speedometer ordered. I also got some color matched gelcoat to start patching and filling in chips.
Waiting on gasket material from Wefco to reinstall cuddy front windows

Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #28466 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian, you have made some real progress. You had it out on the water too, good for you. It won't be long and you will be done.

BTW: I thought I would suggest something for your kicker fuel connection. That looks like an OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) connector. It also appears to be part of a block plate type of combo pickup tube, fuel gauge and male connector. Hard to find one of those. These days most all the unique fuel connector parts are separate pieces with 1/4" pipe threads. If that OMC tank connector still works and you want to use it, you could put an OMC connector on the end of the fuel hose to your kicker. Only would that bypass the filter/water separator?

The way I made a fuel line connection to my (not yet installed) kicker engine on my Sunliner was to have two fuel lines at the output port of my filter/water separator.

A few pieces of brass plumbing hardware, hose clamps and a couple of mini-ball valves made up a two fuel hose setup (one for the main engine and one for the kicker). :)

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 1 month ago #28486 by ianmoore
Jerry,
That's a nifty system! I'll look into it. My fuel/water filter has dual in/out, i wonder if if could keep the inlet plugged(as it is) and use the second outlet in tandem with the other side?
Curious on the 'block plate'. I saw the OMC connector. Where are you seeing a tap for the fuel gauge? I havent yet tried hooking it up as that tank isn't fully functional yet.
Here is a pic of the gauge install. I am looking into options for a Stainless dash piece as they switches on the fiberglass is a little too funky.
Ian
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #28488 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

If you have a fuel filter with dual output ports you can have two fuel lines in tandem. They are common sourced. My filter only has one output port so I had to double up the lines on that port. Also you do have to plug any unused ports. :)

When I was looking at the picture of your fuel tank connector, I thought I noticed the word "FULL" on the right (lower side in picture) and what might be "EMPTY" on the other side. If that block plate were mounted on a 6 gallon portable tank, there would be a sight gauge between the Full/Empty with an arm and float inside the tank. I guess I leaped to the conclusion that there was a fuel gauge there. Looking at it more closely now, I believe the aluminum plate has the words cast into it but just a blank space where the sight gauge would be. :blush:

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
3 years 2 months ago #29441 by ianmoore
I've painted the deck, gotten new seats, replaced a cracked window with a plexi window. I have paint to redo the black stripe, but will probably wait until later in the summer as we have to make the most of the beautiful days in the Seattle area!

Here's a little story that may be amusing. It's made for good copy at parties<
If you followed the thread of my rebuild, you know that this boat showed up at my house as a "working" boat. That word is the start of many a boat project, and proved to be the same for my journey, and I basically learned to work on motors while trying to resurrect the '59 Evinrude(I did, but the internal rust of improper care finally got me to switch to the Merc) learned to do fiberglass work, gelcoat, etc. All of my attempts were first attempts, so the amount of half starts and mistakes were pretty immense! after a couple of year of working on it, I had a boat that was in pretty good shape. Last summer we did quite a bit of boating; fishing, short dashes over to Gig Harbor, etc. We live on Vashon island, which is a small island outside of Seattle that has a wonderful community. The boat and trailer were acquired from an old couple on the island, and the boat had been on the island since it was built in 1959. I had a heck of a time getting the boat legal as the owner had alzheimer's and I was trying to minimize my bugging of him. Finally got it all right, but the trailer didn't have a serial number. After all of the work trying to get the boat legal, I wanted to get it on the water. That basically meant driving the boat to the launch on a working but unliscenced trailer for the summer. Vashon has an element of this on the island for those of you that aren't familiar with it. Many people have island cars and such that are not up to date on inspections, and I spent the summer launching the boat this way.

This spring, as i was thinking about another year of boating season, I realized i needed to get everything up to speed, so I scheduled an appt with the DMV in Tacoma. In order to get the trailer there I had to get a temp permit for the day. It's hard to get an appt, with not many spots available, so i had to schedule almost a month out. The day came, I jumped on the ferry and drove to the DMV to get it done. I had all my paperwork together and in short order had a new serial number! I then had to weigh the trailer, and finally to get the plates. With the serial stamp you have to register the trailer for 5 years when you do it, so i paid the fee and left feeling like i was finally done with the process. I had a legal boat and trailer and outside of a few small cosmetic repairs was done with the refurb.

I was driving to the Vashon ferry when all of a sudden the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I tried to tap my brakes, knowing that my '88 4runner was gonna have a hard time stopping. My trailer doesn't have brakes either, and i quickly realized i was gonna hit the car in front of me. It all happened really fast, and i sat for a moment trying to asses the situation. Thankfully I, nor anyone else was hurt. It was a complete fiasco, took 4 hours and 2 tow trucks to get us out of the middle of the road. It turned out that a lady, who we think was drunk, had stopped in the middle of the road with no blinker. The girl in front of my slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting her, and i hit her in the process. The lady fled and threw out a cup that smelled of alcohol. By Washington State Law I am considered responsible so I am dealing with the repercussions of that. I am a touring musician and routinely drive 40-50,000 miles a year, often towing a trailer. This is the first accident i have ever been in so I am hoping to use my driving record as a defense if i talk to the judge.

Here's the part that speaks to the boat! When i stopped the tow bar broke and the trailer rammed into the back of the car. The force of the stop launched the boat and it landed on top of my 4runner! Th back of car was severely dented in, but the boat, outside of a couple of small gashes on the transom was completely fine! More damage was done getting the boat down from the car than in the accident itself. It took 2 tow trucks and a solid hour, and i had 2 nice gashes going down the keel line. In the days following the accident i took some time to fair the gashes, as well as some other small dings and such, and the boat is in better shape then it was prior to the accident. I finally got a new car( another 4runner) and got the boat back in the water. Learned a bit, have had a few laughs telling the story, am grateful that everyone is ok, and have a deepened respect for the hardiness of Bill Tritt's design!

Here's to a great summer!

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds