× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 11 months ago #27576 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Another update. Busy summer! Just took a group of scouts sailing through the San Juans. Amazing trip!
I'm busy for another week or so, but then back to the boat.

I've had it on the water a few times now. The carb on that old evinrude is pretty finicky, but i have it relatively dialed in and the thing cruises pretty well. My remote control shifter seems a bit out with the linkage. If i shift manually at the motor it stays in forward, so i am assuming that the clutch dog is ok, but i can't get enough slack to consistently do so from the remote. Adjustments at max.

I've got a few more weeks and then i'm going to start doing some structural work on the boat(maximizing this beautiful Seattle summer) I need to replace the 2 horizontal boards that go along the sides of the hull. The bottom one seems pretty easy. It looks like i need to remove the external mahogany trim piece and it will come off. The top piece(along the gunnel) has a fiberglass lip over it and seems to be glassed in. I'm a little unsure of how best to get this out. should i use pry bars below?

I also have some pretty serious rot on the fore stringers, basically from the cabin door forward(the maing floor has been rebuilt). I'm going to need to take the fiberglass structure out to replace these, and imagine there is probably a somewhat standardized way to do this. If any one has any tips, i would love to hear about them.
I have some pics that show this basic structure, but could send more if needed.

Basically at the aggregation stage right now. I'm hoping to have the internal structure, as well as some cosmetic work done by next spring!

Thanks
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #27932 by ianmoore
Hey guys! I'm back. I've learned a ton in the last few months, and have started rebuilding the boat from the inside out. The Evinrude 50hp is being retired. The 10hp has been mechanically renovated and will be cosmetically cleaned up as time permits. Now, on to the boat.

I started looking at the stringers, and rot, in the front cabin, and inspected through the main cabin. The center keel stringer was pretty rotten. I have torn it out, as well as the floor, and ground out the cabin for a new install. I am also taking the transom out to rebuild. The old one had some localized rot, as well as lots of wet wood. The rot was right above the gabbard drain.

The transom i am tearing out was about 1 3/4" thick. The replacements i have seen have been 1 1/2" plywood with a bit of glass, so less thickness.

I have a few questions, that i would love to find out any definitive answers, if anyone knows.
-Are there any definitive measurements on the transom width for that era Sedan?
-I didn't have a bilge area in the back. Basically just had a floor structure with no bulkhead in the back to create a bilge. What did the originals have? Any ideas on the best way to proceed here?
- any suggestions for improvements or things to look for while i have the floor apart?

Thanks guys! Really enjoying the journey. Here are a couple of pics of my latest grinding. The front keel like has a deepish cut that is hard to grind within. It is actually pretty smooth other then that despite the look of the pic.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #27940 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

Glad to hear that you're making progress on your boat! :)

Sorry...I don't have those measurements. I'm assuming you're referring to the little sump area in the floor by the transom? I think those came into play in 1964/1965.

Post more progress pics, please!

George

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 4 months ago #27941 by ianmoore
George,
Really excited to be inside the boat!
We are a bit in a holding pattern as the boats in a non heated space and it's too cold to do fiberglass work.
We actually tried to do a small fiberglass repair yesterday on a spot where i went through the transom trying to get the wood out. Put a heater on it and covered it. Still hasn't cured, and thinking we may need to scrape and retry next week when the weather heats up. We're looking at mid 50's here in Seattle next week. That's about as close to the 60* mark as we're gonna get any time soon

Do you have any thoughts on creating a bilge area? I don't have much boat experience, but if it would be an improvement for the design, it would be worth considering. With the splashwell there isn't any room to get down there, so if there was a bilge pump and it failed i would be removing the whole ensemble to replace.

Ian

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
4 years 4 months ago #27942 by ianmoore
Not a ton of new pics as everything is ground down and waiting the warmer weather to start assembling, but here are some recent pics of prep work
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #27943 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian,

I did a search on the floor sump here on our forums:

classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=co...dforums=1&Itemid=554

Numerous posts with pics. While you have that floor torn out would be the perfect time to add one. There are two drain hole: 1-drains the bilge area facing forward, and 2-drains through the transom. Perfect location for a bilge pump to be installed.

If I remember correctly, there have been a couple of folks that fabicated and installed during their floor rework.

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds