× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #27469 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
I have the junction box with a super old voltage regulator. I haven't been able to check to see if it is working yet as i need the generator belt. It seems that in this system all accessory power is taken off the power take off.
It sounds like most of you guys are running all accessories directly from your battery. Is that true? If so, do you have any kind of voltage regulation, or do you just let things run unregulated?

I like the fuse panel. I was imagining a similar panel, but with the accessory switch model, where you can turn each acc.(lights, bilge, etc) sitting in the section underneath the drivers panel( I think this is where most people have it).

I am not able to fit my battery underneath the splash well. It is too close to the floor. We are probably going to make a rear bench seat, and i imagine we would put our batteries there. I am thinking of two batteries. I would like to use one of those master switches like John P used. Is that mounted towards the rear with the 2 batteries close, and then power comes forward to the accessory panel?

As far as my bilge. It seems that it was in the fore cabin. That is where the "floor" has been lifted. there is a small hole going through the right hand side(under the cushion) into the main cabin. I think that the bilge hose followed towards the right back to a small hole in the rear of the boat. That's all i can figure. If i were to install a bilge in the back, i would have to open the floor up back there.

I have another question..So many! I am looking to fill a couple of cracks in the boards that frame around the cabin entrance. I have read a ton of info on using sawdust, but i don't have any extra mahogany to get it from. Do you guys have any favorite wood filler for this type of situation?

Thanks again!
ian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27471 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions

ianmoore wrote: It sounds like most of you guys are running all accessories directly from your battery. Is that true? If so, do you have any kind of voltage regulation, or do you just let things run unregulated?
ian

Generators have separate regulators because they are old tech and have bulky components, alternators have all regulation electronics built inside (no separate regulator). So yes, we have a voltage regulated electrical power source. Also yes, we generally run accessories from the battery because it is a large stable source of electric power that is available even when the engine is not running. The generator or alternator must be connected to the battery to charge it so, in effect, both are powering accessories when the engine is running.

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #27472 by ianmoore
Thanks Jay. I should clarify. Is anyone using the old voltage regulator with a generator? I understand that its an old technology. With this motor, as long as i use it, i am somewhat tied to the generator, unless i just take it off, and charge between trips.

As promised, here are some shots. The boats is apart, and a bit dirty. I have been polishing and sanding, and haven't had a chance to wash it again.

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #27473 by ianmoore
A couple of additional shots.
Does anyone know how to remove the glass bulb from this aft light(pic included). It seems that the bulb should screw out, but i have tried multiple sprayings of liquid wrench and a lot of prying and i can't get it to bulge.
Obviously, wiring is temporary. I'm waiting to see if the voltage reg is working before i do any additional wiring.
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 2 months ago #27503 by ianmoore
Wanted to give an update. Engine is running well! What a beautiful machine! I am also bringing its little brother to life( the twin 10). We put the boat in the water for the first time yesterday and though there are lots of fine tunings, it has the makings of a beaut. We are going to take advantage of our lovely summer, and do some of the bigger renovations over the winter. We got some nice mahogany to build a bench seat along the splashwell and possibly replace the 2 pieces that run along the main cabin.

I've been tying up all of the electrical over the last couple of days and working on the steering. It's coming along. Reggie( my father in law) has promised to get on the woodworking when he gets a chance. Hopefully we can have some nice pics soon.

I talked gelcoat/repairs with a friend of mine who did it for a living for a number of years. He was amazed at how well preserved the boat was, and offered to help out later this year when i dive into that

Taking a spin tomorrow!

BTW, in terms of serial number. We were not able to find it, which made for a nightmare with the title transfer. My friend, who gave it to me, had bought it new in '59, and had many great stories to tell about it, but couldn't find the title, and Washington expunges all registrations older than 8 years. Many visits to the DMV, but finally got it legal. Don't even get me started on what its gonna take with the trailer!

More
5 years 2 months ago #27505 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Good for you! :cheer: Keep up the good work and post some pics on the water if you can.

-JR

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds