× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 59 seafair sedan questions

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #27461 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Hello George,

Your boat does look great. How come you don't go get her wet?

Hello Ian,

Your boat appears to a 59 model with the tub type splash (motor) well whereas George’s Sedan has a later model sloped well.
My 59 has the same well as your boat and had no rear seats.

Here you see deck chairs being used in this 59 ad.

Here you can see some kind of a bench seat in what I believe is a 59 Sedan prototype

You mention the center of the floor is out. Why is that? Bilge pumps in Sedans I have seen are normally located aft.

You also mentioned earlier the boards running alongside the hull. I'm guessing you're referring to the spray rails. They were originally solid mahogany and in later years they used two overlapping pieces although I never saw plywood used.

My batteries sit on each side in front of the motor well. Not sure what you mean by accessory panel.

Please post more pictures. You can help us help you by showing what you are referring to.

BTW, did you find the S/N? It is in the plaque the cabin header. It could also on the registration form.

Thanks,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #27464 by John_P
Replied by John_P on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Ian:

I am not sure what you mean by the "accessory panel" but if you are referring to the driver side dashboard area here is a picture of how I set-up my gauges etc. on the OEM fiberglass Glasspar Dashboard. I had a friend of mine make me a billet aluminum backing plate and then mounted the gauges into it after having it highly polished.

Here is the photo:

Just below the two main gauges you can see my "Hummingbird Depth Gauge." We installed that AFTER I had already done the main panel above it. Also the little chrome piece above the speedometer and tach is my windshield wiper motor and to the right of those gauges are the horn buttons.
Attachments:

• ianmoore
  • ianmoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
5 years 3 months ago #27465 by ianmoore
Replied by ianmoore on topic 59 seafair sedan questions
Nice instrument panel John! I will post some pics soon

Everything is torn apart. We got the motor running after rebuilding the carb and the ignition system. Got the linkage in for the throttle and shift, which both seem to be working as they should.
We are rehabbing the current steering wheel, which i don't think had been taken off since it was built. We will put that back together tomorrow and check the steering mechanism.

I am curious if any of you guys use an engine generator and/or the voltage reg that pairs with it. I have a working generator. Waiting on a new belt, and then i will check to see if the reg is working properly. What do you do for accessory power? If this thing is toast, i'm sure i could find a much smaller reg to sit in the junction box with the solenoid.

Right now i am running off of a portable tank. I still need to check the built in tanks for stability and leaks. I don't think i will use the original splitter, with the glass bowl, rather something more durable.

I am also looking at redoing the harness. I do a lot of electrical work and feel comfortable doing it, i'm just not sure how the thing comes apart, and don't know where to find parts, should i choose the replace the metal parts. i found a guy who makes them, but he wants $250 a piece for them..

I am waiting to hear from the people that i inherited the boat from for the serial number. There isn't anything on the boat. I do have one on the motor if you guys are interested in that
Thanks!
Ian

More
5 years 2 months ago #27466 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic 59 seafair sedan questions

ianmoore wrote: I am curious if any of you guys use an engine generator and/or the voltage reg that pairs with it.
Ian

Generators were pretty much a '50's kind of technology. Prior to then, no electrics at all. Electric starters became popular in the early 50's and (optional) generators were available some years later which could replenish the on-board battery while running. More modern electric start outboards have alternators with solid state built-in rectifiers /regulators.

-JR

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27467 by John_P
Ian:

Thanks for your nice comments on our billet aluminum instrument panel! ;) I have not seen another one like it.

Jay is giving you good advice on the old generators. Like many of the other members here, we are using a single marine battery which is under our factory splashwell.
We also completely rewired our 1960 Seafair Sedan as the wiring that was in it was original, old type 50's-60's stuff that was brittle and would get somewhat warm during use. We went with a fuse panel type "box" from "Blue Sea" and used all marine grade wiring and connectors. I also installed a marine "main cutoff" master switch to completely kill the power when the boat is not being used. Here are some photos for you Ian:

"Blue Sea" Fuse Panel:

"Blue Sea Systems" Master Cutoff Switch:

Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27468 by John_P
Ian:

Here is a picture of the old "panel box" and wiring that we took out of our Seafair before installing the new panel, master switch and marine grade wiring:

Believe me,....it was a MESS!! :ohmy:
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds