× List the Glasspar boats you have found around your town, state, classifieds or other resource. Or list your own boat for sale here!

Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon It Came From 1956

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
1 year 7 months ago #29011 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: It Came From 1956
Here are a few pics of my early Avalon. Like I said, it is in very rough condition. :S

This bullnose bow fitting is as iconic as the goggle-eye windshield though I suspect not many people notice it. Usually it's the windshield that attracts your eye. I believe the bullnose bow fitting was on mid-50's Avalons up to 1957. Sometime during that model year, Glasspar switched to a simple "T" cleat on the foredeck.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #29027 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: It Came From 1956
Looks like a good project –JR.

It appears like half is in primer and the other half is original gel coat.
Going to guess by looking at the metal parts the boat has seen some salt air.
It’s probably better the windshield was never on the boat so it is still original as is. I was thinking with your skills you could make up something similar to the FG frame but carved from wood.

For my contact info see:
classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=co...&id=26392&Itemid=219

Thanks,
Terry

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
1 year 7 months ago #29031 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: It Came From 1956
Terry,

Yes, I am thinking of making a replica original style windshield out of wood. It will be tricky without any dimensions and going only by photos but I really want that look. It has definitely been in the ocean a lot. At one time, it must have had a big live well installed. The remnants are a couple of large thru-hull fittings. I'm thinking the boat was used for commercial fishing of some kind. Mismatched paint is the least of the things needing fixing. :dry:

-JR (Jerry)

P.S. I sent some brochures

Moderators: gwbell
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com