× List the Glasspar boats you have found around your town, state, classifieds or other resource. Or list your own boat for sale here!

Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon It Came From 1956

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
3 years 6 months ago #28994 by Jayarrgh
It Came From 1956 was created by Jayarrgh
I picked up another boat yesterday, an Avalon. I believe it is a 1956 model. The condition is rough (very rough) but the price was right (free). You may know from my posts that I have a strong interest in the earliest Avalons (mid-fifties). What got me to take it home is that it is a duplicate of the boat in the pictures Terry Di posted some months ago. Here are Terry's pics, what my boat used to look like.

Unfortunately, my boat lacks the iconic goggle-eye windshield. That was an $85 option back in the day and this boat was apparently sold without it. I want to clean it up a bit before I post some pictures. Right now it just looks too scary ... a real Glasspar Zombie.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #28995 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic It Came From 1956
Congratulations Jerry I new you were looking for a project. Last Friday a few of us local guys were having breakfast and I brought up the goggle-eye Avalon's and no one had ever heard of them glad you posted the pics so they won't think I was blowing smoke up their skirts. I tried to respond to your post regarding my acquisition by replying to what was forwarded to my email. Maybe that is not the way its supposed to work, don't really know. My big delima now is how to get rid of a couple of boats, was planning on using the local boat salvage but they have quit accepting boats without trailers. Now they want $600 for a small cruiser. I guess I'll take to the landfill or get a roll off and them take it to the landfill. In any event its not a big deal one way or another, if worst came to worst I could always dig a hole in the back acreage and bury the damn things. Could have my own boat graveyard. :P

Get busy we all want to see pics of your new toy.
Jack

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #28996 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic It Came From 1956
Congratulations on your new project and please post pictures when you can.

This Glasspar looks like it could have come from that same “B” movie in 1956.

Thanks,
Terry

cant attach picture for some reason and the forum is gone too?
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
3 years 6 months ago #28997 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic It Came From 1956

Terrydi wrote: cant attach picture for some reason and the forum is gone too?

Terry,
The site was hacked. Micheal is re-building it as he has time for it. I'm sure the main forum will be back up soon. Also the picture max size limits are currently set much lower than they were before. I think that was why your attempt to attach pics didn't work. When I tried to post your old Avalon pics, I had to downsize them a lot to get them to post.

-JR (Jerry)

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #28998 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic It Came From 1956
Thanks Jerry,

Yeah I made it smaller and it went. I can see the forum if I don't log in but access is denied when I log on.

Terry

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
3 years 6 months ago #28999 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic It Came From 1956
Terry, That is a cool pic B)

The boat is a Glasspar Sport-Fisher 20 footer! The only other picture I have ever seen of one of those was in a brochure supposedly from 1953. That has got to be where the goggle-eye windshield idea came from and later used on the Avalon. Got any more pics of early Avalons or Sport-Fishers? If so, I would like to get copies of them or , when the site is fully functional, I think it would be great to get them on a gallery page. :)

-JR (Jerry)

Crunched photo of 20 footer brochure

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbell
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds