× List the Glasspar boats you have found around your town, state, classifieds or other resource. Or list your own boat for sale here!

Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1965 Mercury 100hp

• 1962GlassparCitation
  • 1962GlassparCitation's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
6 years 3 months ago #24634 by 1962GlassparCitation
1965 Mercury 100hp was created by 1962GlassparCitation
We recently purchased a 1965 Mercury 100hp motor which was already atttached to the 1962 Glasspar Citation we also purchased. Boat is a keeper for sure! It ran well once or twice then pooped out and needed to be pumped (fuel line bulb) manually to get back to shore. Water is also coming out of the spark plug holes. Obviously a problem. Hoping for responses from someone who may have experienced similar symptoms...

Anyone with any experience with an older Mercury outboard motor on this website able to help diagnose where to begin making repairs? It's a nice engine, well maintained and clean. Not sure if it just sat too long before we got a hold of it? Guy we bought it from had not used it for years. We hate the idea of replacing the motor, but, also don't want to throw good money after bad. Anyone know of any reliable parts suppliers for such Mercury outboards? Any good opinions are worth a look. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #24636 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 1965 Mercury 100hp
Don't claim to be an expert on Merc's, but does sound like fairly common problems. I'd start with checking the simple things first: Is the fuel tank vent open? Does your fuel line fittings (tank and motor) leak or suck air when you're using the fuel bulb? If not, I'd consider rebuilding the fuel pumps.

The water coming out of the spark plug area is actually common, but more extensive to fix. Our 1967 1100SS does the same thing. I just apply the dielectric grease when checking my plugs, and continue to use... :blush:

There is a very knowledgable gentleman specializing in Mercs that usually posts over on Fiberglassics ( www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost.html ). Thom Adams (Dr. Frankenmerc). Very helpful and will give detailed recommendations for repair. Try a shout out over there. I do have his email address, so if you prefer, send me an email and I'll provide his address.

George
five dot bells at verizon dot net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: gwbell
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds