× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1957-1958 Sport Lidos transom configuration

• iamsam1956
  • iamsam1956's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #29825 by iamsam1956
I have been on a lot of websites lately and discovered there are a lot of Sport Lido owners that are unsure about the model year of their boats as was I when restoring my 1957 Sport Lido and decided to give the results of my research. The bulk of my research was from the websites 'fiberglassics.com', 'classicglasspars.com', and 'marineengine.com'.
First, I located an Id# for the boat on the backing plate on the inside of the transom for the rear handles on the transom and has several discussions with George 'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.' from the 'classicglasspars.com' website. The id# '145n1420' on my boat does not conform to the coding established in 1959 so I had to use my imagination and all the other info contained in the Glasspar brochures from 'fiberglassics' and 'marineengine' to determine the year of my boat.
Next, the motor on my boat was a Johnson 35 Sea Horse RDE-19, which according to the 'marineengine' website was produced in 1957.
Next, the Sport Lido models were only made in 57,58,59 according' to the Glasspar brochures found on the 'fiberglassics' website. The only difference I could determine between the 57, 58 is the transom configuration, the 57 transom height is listed as 15/20 inches and the 58 is listed as 20 inches, both have the walk thru deck. The 59 is an open deck with a totally redesigned rear transom area.
Finally, in my discussions with George on this site it was determined that there was no standard format required for the Id# of the boats made in different Glasspar plants, each plant used its own format until the 59 model year.
I hope this helps someone, I wish I had had something like this, it would have saved me a lot of headaches when I got my boat, The previous owner of my boat had it registered as a year '62' model. Sam Moore 'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds