× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Re-power for 1966 Avalon

• mvislander
  • mvislander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
11 months 1 week ago #29788 by mvislander
mvislander created the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
I am looking at re-powering my 1966 Avalon.
Currently it has a 1987 evinrude 60hp triple that has issues.

I am considering a 60hp Evinrude E-Tec or a 50 hp Tohatsu TLDI.

I am leaning towards the E-Tec, but, the Tohatsu comes in at almost 2 grand cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience running a 50hp on the (especially Tohatsu) Avalon?

The Tohatsu 75hp TLDI would be around the same price as the E-tec but it weighs almost 100 pounds more?

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #29790 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
I am in a club with several Avalons and various outboards from vintage to modern, either of the engines you mentioned would be good for your boat. One couple has the 60 E-tec and that would be a top end choice in my opinion, Another couple has the Tohatsu 50 (tho not on an Avalon), nice engine. The T 75 is more power than needed but the hull could handle the weight as long as your transom is solid. I have a '56 Avalon that I am restoring. I plan to use 40 or 50 hp.

• mvislander
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #29791 by mvislander
mvislander replied the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
Jayarrgh,

Thanks for the response!
This forum seems like a ghost town lately.

I had my Evinrude checked out by the local marine mechanic, and it turned out that I needed a new timer base and power pack. I had it repaired to the tune of about $800. That is a lot cheaper than a new outboard. but I still wish I had power trim. I'll deal with it for this year and maybe buy a new Tohatsu next year or install a trim & tilt unit.

The Evinrude runs fantastic now and the mechanic told me these triples are usually very reliable.

Chris

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #29792 by 16again
16again replied the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
Another member of that same club has a 90hp Mercury "Tall Six" powering his Avalon. My Dad had a 105hp Chrysler on his 68 Avalon. Have you tried asking your mechanic about installing PT on you existing motor. Pretty common practice I understand and there are quite a few units on EB.
While I appreciate the functionality of the newer motors there is something about an old boat with an old motor that just makes me "smile".
Jack
(35hp Evinrude Lark on 62 Avalon)

• mvislander
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
10 months 20 hours ago #29797 by mvislander
mvislander replied the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
Update on the Evinrude.

Three weeks later I had the opportunity to test out my newly repaired Evinrude in a local lake.

Well.......that didn't work out so well!
The motor started easy and idled fine. I tried to shift in gear and it would stall?
I spoke with the marine mechanic that worked on it and I was told to bring it in on Wednesday and he would adjust the idle.
I arrived at his shop on Wednesday as requested and he told me that he probably wouldn't be able to get to it this week?
The mechanic told me to try to adjust it myself? I tried this at a local boat launch with no luck.
After this frustration I called the Tohatsu dealer and scheduled an appointment for him to evaluate the Evinrude.
I dropped off the boat with motor on Saturday and received a call on Wednesday about the outboard.
It turns out the top cylinder had a large amount of metal shavings and lower compression than the bottom tow cylinders!!!

To make a long story shorter, I have a 50hp Tohatsu TLDI on order. The dealer gave me $900 towards the new outboard.
The whole package with install, gauges, prop and fuel tank will be $6500.

I am looking forward to some quality boating time, I have been trying to get this boat in the water since 2015!

More
10 months 14 hours ago #29798 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Re-power for 1966 Avalon
Your story is all too familiar to me. Like 16again said, I love the look of vintage engines on classic boats; but nostalgia fades when those old engines start to have problems. I have owned a variety of OMC engines in the past ... but today my Seafair and my other operational boat both have Hondas.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds