× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Think about a hot rod ...

• woodlund
  • woodlund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
11 months 1 week ago #29708 by woodlund
woodlund created the topic: Think about a hot rod ...
So I have been in and out of the boat business since about 1960 or so. Some of you may have known that I worked in Santa Cruz for the Mariner and Harbor Marine. I got my first project boat at 12 or something (Hollywwod plywood runabout).

Eventually, I ended up in Marine Engineering for NOAA in their West Coast small-boats program (anything under 45 ft or so). I did work on some of their launches and outboard powered boats. One of which was a Seafair Sedan with twin Evinrude 55's out back. Pretty good coastal get-about boat.

I had always admired Glasspar lines. They look sea-kindly and seem to handle well. But I have never been impressed with their all out speed. The G-3 is a speedy little thing, but it's a bit "spacey" for me.

So I'm looking for a hull that I can beef here and there and hang an Evinrude 130HP cross-flow V-4 on and get into the mile-a-minute club :)

I'm thinking 15 ft and something around 750 lbs before engine installation and rigging. I'll install a couple of bucket seats about 2/3's of the way aft and extend the fore-deck back to a new dash location. Prolly a manual hydraulic jack plate, chopper prop, maybe a hull water pick-up ... Helmsman and Throttleman and that's it. This is a guy boat. Not a family boat.

Would prefer fiberglass stringers under the sole. Could do wood stringers, but it would have to be a very right hull (hydro-dynamically) and be dirt cheap. So I'm thinking 1963 or maybe slightly later ... My boat partner and I can do glass or woodwork and we can both weld. Beefing the transom/hull is not out of range at all. We'll try to make it look at least work-boat chique. But tubing and plate attachments may creep in here and be visible.

Put out whatever ideas enter your mind on how this might, or should, proceed ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #29709 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Think about a hot rod ...
Maybe a tunnel hull/catamaran design? If you're wanting to stay vintage, you might want to look at PowerCats. Nice wide hull and dual outboards were very common. I've seen pics of these boats modified for a single center seat/helm.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Power_Cat

www.powercatboat.com/

Just my first thoughts...

George

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #29711 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Think about a hot rod ...
In the lineup of Glasspar boats, the one that might fit your needs is the late model Avalon (Larson design). Made in the '70s that hull is 15 feet LOA and weighs 807 lbs. The deck could be modified to get the configuration you want. Certified for only 85hp, some transom mods would be a good idea.

Not really suited to your plan, but clearly an attempt to overcome the Glasspar "not fast" image is the DON TWENTY. Designed by Don Aronow and introduced in 1974, it looks like a smaller version of the famous Cigarette hull. Though at a bit over 20 feet, it is neither small nor light (2598 lbs). Power comes from a 275hp Chrysler I/O.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

• woodlund
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
11 months 1 week ago #29714 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Think about a hot rod ...
I'd like to maybe try to stay in the Glasspar family :) I could go Startcraft v-150 Modified (stripper w/o windshield), but would not have fiberglass stringers or be a Glasspar ... Could do a Glasstron too, but as said, not Glasspar ::dry::

Yeah, I think the Avalon might do the trick. The big boat is too big to get going with our power and we already have a stern drive in the "fleet". This is to be a purpose built/modified boat that will do what we want on 140 HP (or there abouts). Will not be putting a needle nosed racing lower or anything that radical.

You'all have prolly seen the rise of the Rat Rod culture in cars ... This may be our version with a boat. Old tech flying over the water. No pickle forks, no hydros, no cats, no twin engines. KISS on the build :)

• woodlund
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #29735 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Think about a hot rod ...
Well I didn't manage to stay Glasspar ... I got a Marlin Deep Vee 16 ft OB hull and two (2) trailers for $260. Boat buddy went and got it. Thread on the boat here: www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?3221...-maybe-a-new-Hot-Rod

Love that Aronow 20 above. Seems that Marlins were overbuilt in White City Oregon for their surf conditions up there ... So I'll be toting some weight too ...

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com