× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??

• woodlund
  • woodlund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #29659 by woodlund
HP Rating - 1962 Citation ?? was created by woodlund
So some of you know I'm doing a resto-mod to fairly beat 1962 Citation.

I bought it cheap enough back 20 years ago, drug it home, found a partially delam'd transom, but no soft wood ... So I spread the layers and flooded with West System, clamped it up and then stuck it away. Two years ago i pulled it out and started in. The transome was solid as far as I could tell, drilling, sawing, etc. I clipped it down to 20" and lost the transom well. You'll see why when I get a little further along and post pictures.

I added a strong-back to the inside before I mounted a Honda 50. Sea trials went OK, but I did not like the Honda, so I pulled it off and sold it.

I now has a range of OMC 2-strokes to choose from. 40HP twin, 60HP tripple, and a 140HP V-4 bubble back 'Rude...

I used the search to look for HP ratings, and Citation ratings ... Nothing came up. So I'm asking here if anyone knows what the original transom rating was for a '62 Citation?

I'm not overly concerned. And I won't put the 140 on it, I know that's WAY too much :D

But I messed up the first strong-back when I drove the Honda bolts out, so I built a new one that is bigger and longer and made of two layers of 10 oz roving and two layers of 3/8 planed Mahogany bonded with epoxy and screwed to 80% of transom depth, about 6" OC.

I'm planning to mount the 60HP Johnson triple (1974 looper). It prolly does not make full power as it only has 125# compression, but even across all three cylinders. I'm guessing it's more of a stout 55 than a real HP queen ...

Anyway, any insight gladly accepted :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #29669 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??
I don't have any specific HP numbers for '62. However, I believe your Looper would do nicely on that Citation even with a stock transom. If you have strengthened the transom from original, all to the better. I am curious; you mentioned you "clipped it down to 20", what was the transom height before you clipped it?
-JR (Jerry)

• woodlund
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago #29672 by woodlund
Replied by woodlund on topic HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??
Prolly about 20 1/2" as I recall. Was going to notch it all the way down to use a 15" motor.

I did notch it down to 19" so I could run deeper as SF Bay can get rough. Motors will often air if they are set lake shallow ... The bay chop is pretty steep faced in some areas like under San Mateo Bridge in the afternoons.

Took off a bit and stopped. Nice little scalloped cut and the wood was solid. I have since added a curved cut mahogany top block back on for the other OMC options I have that are all 20". It's now about 1/2" above the top of the transom line I had established and relieved just enough to allow an OMC bolt-on transom bracket to "nestle" into the top before inserting the bolts.

All this cutting and trimming is how I figured that the OEM wood was still solid, it had just separated from weather exposure or being under water at some point before I bought it ...

The thing is these are all curved transoms (at least mine). I can see the rational from an engineering point. A curve is a like a dam face in reverse and tends to be stronger and more stable. But it introduces other issues... A power trim/tilt stern bracket will be under stress if bolted on straight away.

I found some Pro-Comp 2* aluminum wedges used for things like Jeep front axles to get the right steering angles. Bonded them on the back face with 5200 before paint. Cured over night. They are pretty flat across the bolt holes now. Maybe off a 1/4 degree or so... They'll set the motor back about a 1/4". But having a transom bracket flat mounted is much better as far as I can see :)

I'll get Pics to add to the process when I get home from elder care ...

More
2 years 1 month ago #29674 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??
Woodlund,

I think I've posted these brochure scans before, but thought I'd repost:

Another spec sheet is on FiberGlassics: www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/a/a0/Glassparbb002.jpg

These don't show the HP rating, but the 1963 brochure calls out a 80-hp motor. I tend to agree with Jerry that your 60-HP Looper should be fine.

George

P.S. We'd love to see some pics of your boat! Let me know if you have any issues posting pics.
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #29675 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??
Here's the scan of the 1963 brochure:

Attachments:

• woodlund
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #29676 by woodlund
Replied by woodlund on topic HP Rating - 1962 Citation ??
Thanks so much. 80HP was it and I'm well within, so all good :)

OBTW - I just picked up a good used 3-cylinder powerhead today. 155~160 psi on each cylinder. 90% there, so I have a back-up in case anything happens to my existing runner :)

Is there anyway I can get those scans as a higher resolution JPG ?? Maybe PM me and I can email you for a direct send? Kinda hard to read at forum resolution ...

Boat is still too rough to make a picture presentation. But coming along. Replacement furniture is about 80%. Enough so my wife can sit for a while. Dash is further along. Interior paint is all over the place. Re-doing the electrical feeds for the third time so wire sort of everywhere ... And rigging a different motor/controls. A picture at this point would be quite confusing viewing ...

I will get pictures up when the mods are at least in place, if still rough ... Have been quite a few changes since the Honda came off.

And with elder care, my time is compressed. I'm away from home a bit too much. But making progress :)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds