× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon transom thickness

• rjcullis
  • rjcullis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #29612 by rjcullis
rjcullis replied the topic: transom thickness
thanks for posting the pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjcullis
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #29613 by rjcullis
Thanks to everyone for the replies. The Coosa board is very interesting (not cheap). Can it be used as floor in the cockpit?

More
1 year 4 days ago - 1 year 4 days ago #29663 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: transom thickness
Well, a piece of 1 1/2" Coosa Board 48" x 48" is $296. I could see that for a boat kept in the water. But for a trailer boat ....

Maybe two layers of 3/4 HDO ... Really tough stuff. I have used it on boat projects for years. Does not come apart easily :)

Treat any sawn edges with penetrating epoxy and you should be good to go on laminating and bonding :)

• rjcullis
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 13 hours ago #29682 by rjcullis
What's HDO

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #29683 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: transom thickness
High Density Overlay (HDO). It's a type of plywood used to make large roadside bill-boards, concrete forms, and other weather exposed surfaces that must remain flat and true. Hardwood layers and resin impregnated "skin" on both sides. I usually use 3/4" ... Very tough plywood, Few, if any voids or air spaces :)

One side is dead flat, one is slightly irregular. Usually has the letters HDO and Form other Side written in large letters. Bonds well with slow set epoxy as long as you rough the surface with a 60 grit sander or so. Takes fasteners well. The hardwood layers take penetrating epoxy well on all fresh edge cuts :)

Can be ordered at most any lumber yard that sells in bulk to contractors :)

OBTW - fooling around building a motor stand for a 1970's bolt-on OMC - about the max built up thickness you can use and have wiggle room for the top "lips" of the transom bracket is 2 3/4" ... If the top edges are eased with router, you could get close to 3", but I don't know if that would fit on completely? I don't know what Merc needs ...

Does anyone have the dimensions for the "standard" BIA transom mounting pattern? Or a scan of the pattern?

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com