× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon transom thickness

• rjcullis
  • rjcullis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 7 months ago #29599 by rjcullis
rjcullis created the topic: transom thickness
I am rebuilding the stern of my 1963 Seafair Sedan and need to know the true thickness of the transom plywood. My transom has swollen and delaminated so it is not good to measure from.

Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 7 months ago #29600 by edwardgrijalva6020
edwardgrijalva6020 replied the topic: transom thickness
I made mine 1 1/2 ", used two 3/4 " marine plywood. Used 1 1/2 oz. cloth and resin to bond to-gather and some brass wood screws and about 40 C-lamps. Solid as a rock. My 2 cents worth.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #29601 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: transom thickness
The transom of my 1960 Seafair was originally 1 5/8" . I made it thicker when I re-enforced it but then some of the trim pieces did not fit exactly as original.
-JR (Jerry)

More
1 year 7 months ago #29605 by Fitzy
Fitzy replied the topic: transom thickness
Rich

Before doing anything, seriously consider using Coosa Board...Here is a link:

www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa-composites-board.html

I used it for the deck and transom of my 1964 Seafair Sedan and it worked fantastic. No more plywood and fiberglass blanket. This stuff is lightweight, works great with epoxy, cuts easily and perfectly and is real strong. sold in different widths and lengths. Very easy and clean to work with. You won't regret is. My transom is solid and I never have to worry about waterlog again

As for the thickness, I think these things always end up being somewhat off, but by the time I got the motor well back on, the trimmings etc and made adjustments here and there, all was perfect

I tried attaching some photos but for some reason, that I have given up figuring out, the site will not accept my photos. Give me your email and I can send them to you

Regards and good luck.....PS...go on BoatUS website, they ran my boat in the 2/16 issue...Still gives me goosebumps when folks on the Great South Bay tell me they saw it :laugh:
Fitz

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #29607 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: transom thickness

Fitzy wrote: Rich

Before doing anything, seriously consider using Coosa Board...Here is a link:

www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa-composites-board.html

I used it for the deck and transom of my 1964 Seafair Sedan and it worked fantastic. No more plywood and fiberglass blanket. This stuff is lightweight, works great with epoxy, cuts easily and perfectly and is real strong. sold in different widths and lengths. Very easy and clean to work with. You won't regret is. My transom is solid and I never have to worry about waterlog again

As for the thickness, I think these things always end up being somewhat off, but by the time I got the motor well back on, the trimmings etc and made adjustments here and there, all was perfect

I tried attaching some photos but for some reason, that I have given up figuring out, the site will not accept my photos. Give me your email and I can send them to you

Regards and good luck.....PS...go on BoatUS website, they ran my boat in the 2/16 issue...Still gives me goosebumps when folks on the Great South Bay tell me they saw it :laugh:
Fitz

Fitz,

Since the rebuild of the website, pictures need to be considerably smaller to post. Admittedly, this can be pretty frustrating trying to find the right size. 960 pixels x 480 pixels seems to be a good size. If you need help with this, email your pics to me and I can post on your behalf.

Looked at the info on Coosa Board. My first thought was wondering if this can be used on curved transoms?

George
five dot bells at comcast dot net

More
1 year 7 months ago #29610 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: transom thickness
Pics posted on Fitz's behalf:

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds