× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Glasspar Argosy?

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
1 year 4 weeks ago - 1 year 4 weeks ago #29597 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh created the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
I saw this 1963 print ad copy on ebay. The model lineup at the bottom caught my eye. The boats listed are a subset of then current models with one exception. The last one shown says "Argosy". :huh: Has anyone ever heard of a Glasspar model with that name? Note that the outline could be a Mariner without the motor bracket. I wonder if a rebirth of the Mariner was being considered, was there supposed to be a Ventura outline drawing in that spot or was the "Argosy" just the fantasy of some over-zealous ad man. It is a mystery to me.

-JR (Jerry)

This ad shows the accepted lineup for 1963. No Argosy.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #29609 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
Jerry,

Here's another ad found:

Only seems to be for 1963. Wonder if this Argosy model just didn't make it off the drawing boards. Understand your logic that it may have been planned as a 19-ft model.

Curious if Eddie or Matt Tritt have any recollection of what happened here?

George
Attachments:

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #29614 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
George,

Multiple ads showing the "Argosy" model means to me that it wasn't just a printing error. As you say, it may have been planned but did not make the cut. By 1963, Bill Tritt and most of the original Glasspar people were out of the company. The "new" directors were struggling with declining sales and competition, perhaps they were subtly putting out model ideas to see if there was any interest. :unsure:

-JR (Jerry)

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #29639 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
Hello Jerry,

Another piece to the puzzle.

The line drawings on the Good Hunting ad shows all the open models that would interest duck hunters and the Argosy is a match to the Mariner. And as you mention it is sans the motor well so it could have been offered as an I/O which is also mentioned in the ad.
I’m thinking they simply used it to compliment the Glasspar product line and offer a larger open cruiser.

Thanks,
Terry

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
1 year 1 week ago #29640 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
Terry, good catch. I did not notice that they were all open boats.

-JR (Jerry)

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #29641 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Glasspar Argosy?
Jerry,

I put those brochures up at FGC so let’s see if anyone there has more history on the Argosy.

Also notice in the “Enjoy Yourself” ad George posted, the boats shown on top are all the Seafairs starting with the Sedan and followed by the open Sportsman and Sunliner. At the bottom is the Ventura and the Argosy. Don’t know why the Marathon is stuck in between the two but it does give the ad a more symmetrical look.

By 66 Glasspar had rounded out the line for a larger runabout with the Newporter 2200.

This Newporter is listed as a 1965 model.

Not Glasspar related but a very interesting story at Woody Boater on the 1926 “Argosy”
See:
www.woodyboater.com/blog/2015/05/26/argosy-on-the-rocks/

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com