× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon New motor, older controls - Evinrude ...

• woodlund
  • woodlund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 3 months ago #29534 by woodlund
OK, so some of you'all know I have a 1961 Citation. It was pretty rough when I dragged it home. Old Merc (shot), seats all tore loose (shot), transom delaminated. But the hull looked OK. I dragged it out of an old storage yard up in the Sacramento Delta.

So I pushed the transom open some and waited all summer for it to dry. Once that was done, I prodded and poked to see if it was soft or rotten. All I got was firm wood :) So I poured the delams full of West System and clamped it up pretty good and let that cure over winter.

Over winter turned into 20 odd years as I built a house and did a lot of other stuff like work 2 jobs some seasons, etc...

Then I retired and went to work. The boat is officially a rest-mod ... Refastened the floor to the fiberglass stringers (expanding molly bolts in a recess flooded in epoxy and tightened down snug. Set on 8" centers longitudinally with the stringers on 7" centers horizontally from the factory. Seems to have stiffened up the boat nicely and no more Pops when you walk the deck :)

Hung a 2008 Honda BF50 tilt motor and built some replacement furniture. Going for that older work boat look, doll'd up a bit. Honda was a disappointment. Not enough power and the wrong noises. Will pull that and sell it. Have a nice used Evinrude 70 looper from 1984 so the boat will resemble a mid-life re-power and make the right noises and smoke :D

But, I want to keep the old 1950's OMC "Simplex" two-lever control box I picked up with the motor (throw in) which uses the early style (pre-1979) cables...

So I'm asking if anyone has experience hooking a post '79 OMC outboard to a early style control box? If so, what cables did you use?

Any help appreciated :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #29535 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic New motor, older controls - Evinrude ...
Strongly suggest you go to Fiberglassics site and go to the J.E.G.O's Place. Some really knowledgeable guy's over there, not to say there aren't knowledgeable on GSG but only to introduce a larger population of experience.
Jack

More
2 years 3 months ago #29536 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic New motor, older controls - Evinrude ...
Like Jack says, the Fiberglassics JEGO site would get you a wide exposure to experienced boaters.
I will kick in my own bit too: I suggest you look at Marine Engines website: www.marineengine.com/products/accessories.php?g=482
They have a large selection of control cables for OMC engines and control boxes. I put a Simplex OMC box onto a 1984 Johnson 30 with readily available cables 10 years ago. I don't think the parts situation has changed much. :) You will need to identify which control ends fit your Looper by checking out the pictures. The control box end has less variations (as I recall) but you should open up your Simplex box to be sure the new cable will work there too.

-JR (Jerry)

• woodlund
  • woodlund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 3 months ago #29537 by woodlund
Replied by woodlund on topic New motor, older controls - Evinrude ...
Well if you did it, it can be done. I'll drop by these sites and see what I see ...

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds