× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon New To The Group! Want To Know Some Info And Intro

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #29448 by Jayarrgh

Afrost wrote: Ok Ive been doing some looking. The Serial tag says 17XN 0063. So is that a Seafair Sedan, Nashville made, 1963 model number 63? Is that right?

Welcome, I have a 1960 Seafair Sunliner. Seafairs are great boats, I 'm sure you will enjoy your sedan. Looking at the pic of the serial number tag, the way I read it is this: There is a "3" after the letter "N". I think that is the year (ie 1963). The 0063 is the sequential hull number for that year at the Nashville plant. Note: Consensus of opinion, right now, is that 1963 is the year Glasspar switched from wooden stringers to fiberglass ones. That is worth knowing if you intend to replace the cockpit floor. Do you have any pics of the interior? We would love to see them. :)

-JR (Jerry0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #29449 by 16again
Hey Jerry glad to see your up and about. We missed you and Luciousa ( sp) at Shasta, you could have sold floor space in your room. From my reading I agree with you regarding the deciphering of the tag. With regard to stringers I have been under the impression that 1964 was the first full year of fiber glass stringers.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #29450 by Jayarrgh

16again wrote: Hey Jerry glad to see your up and about. We missed you and Luciousa ( sp) at Shasta, you could have sold floor space in your room. From my reading I agree with you regarding the deciphering of the tag. With regard to stringers I have been under the impression that 1964 was the first full year of fiber glass stringers.

Thanks Jack, We really missed going. We would have been in fat city being in that luxury hotel room while the rest of you all were dealing with the "monsoon" Friday night. Worse, I had to pay a stiff late cancellation fee. Anyway, I am moving better now and need to get on the water somewhere soon. You are right about 1964 being the first for sure FG stringer year. 1963 boats could be maybe yes, maybe no IMHO.

-JR (Jerry)

• Afrost
  • Afrost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #29451 by Afrost

Jayarrgh wrote:

Afrost wrote: Ok Ive been doing some looking. The Serial tag says 17XN 0063. So is that a Seafair Sedan, Nashville made, 1963 model number 63? Is that right?

Welcome, I have a 1960 Seafair Sunliner. Seafairs are great boats, I 'm sure you will enjoy your sedan. Looking at the pic of the serial number tag, the way I read it is this: There is a "3" after the letter "N". I think that is the year (ie 1963). The 0063 is the sequential hull number for that year at the Nashville plant. Note: Consensus of opinion, right now, is that 1963 is the year Glasspar switched from wooden stringers to fiberglass ones. That is worth knowing if you intend to replace the cockpit floor. Do you have any pics of the interior? We would love to see them. :)

-JR (Jerry0

Thanks Jerry, I was wondering the year that they started that, actually. Im just about to rip the floor up and re-deck. It's developed a couple of weak spots and one hole about the size of a baseball right around the front seat on the port side. I'll definitely update how the stringers look when i get them exposed. Any recommendations on thickness of flooring to use? Looks like the original was 1/8" deck, untreated on bottom and fiberglassed on top. I'd like to go with as solid as possible without gaining too much weight. Also thought about using commerical rubberized spray liner on the inner hull, stringers, and both sides of the decking (if left untreated) to help with hull strength, rot resistance, and sound dampening. Thoughts? Only complaint I might have is weight addition.

I havent taken any pictures of the inside, though I'll be home soon and I'll do just that.

• Afrost
  • Afrost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #29452 by Afrost
By the way, here is some pictures of my first Sedan. The one that started it all.

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #29453 by 16again
Recently replaced the sole on my Seafair Sedan and found the vids on Utube quite helpful. Several members of Golden State Glassics have produced vids as well as others. You might also try the search function here to see what others have done. In my case I used 5/8" marine plywood treated with CPES on both sides and utilized 3M 5200 (use fast drying) as a bonding agent along with SS screws. Around the outer perimeter I used 10" wide fiberglass tape, don't remember the weight but quite heavy then covered the entire floor with cloth, mat and cloth and finally gel coat. I know JR did something similar. Will be starting my son's SfS soon and will be following the same process except that in his I will include a sump. Good luck and keep us updated with pic's.

Jack

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds