× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Moving the Mary Diane?

• gwbell
  • gwbell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
More
1 year 3 months ago #29405 by gwbell
gwbell created the topic: Moving the Mary Diane?
Wanted to open this discussion up to the general membership. Email traffic discussing the possibility of moving the GOA owned Meridian from Mojave, CA to Bakersfield, CA. Thought we might get some input that had not been considered so far. See below emails:

George

Original Message
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:45 AM
To: George Bell
Subject: Meridian
Hi George, Phil Abshier a long time GSG member in Bakersfield has offered to house the Meridian for awhile.
_______
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:12 PM
To: George Furtsch
Cc: Michael McKinney ; Matt Tritt ; Eddie Grijalva ; Rod Burkholder
Subject: RE: Meridian
Hi George,

Interesting question and I ran it by Michael. His response:
"As for the Meridian, it's really just sitting here rotting away and if some people are willing to work on it . . . more power to them. I'm at a loss for the moment of the guy up north who has the motor [Rod Burkholder]. I just want to ensure that some "diehard" Glasspar person has the ability to oversee it so it does not disappear somewhere down the road and actually stays within the club somehow. Maybe eventually with young Matt Tritt? Just a thought."

One of the main things Michael points out that I would also be concerned with is the ownership aspect. As you're aware, the Mary Diane requires a significant amount of restoration work which translates in to a significant amount of funds to accomplish this. After other folks invest time and money, I could see where it might get confusing as to who actually has controlling interest in the boat. As far as I know the boat is owned by the GOA, and I also would like to see it stay that way. Michael would have a list of the original contributors for the club purchase. Not to mention, the very nice trailer that is owned by Michael that we switched out with the broken down trailer when retrieving the Mary Diane from Stockton.

Having the boat more centrally located in Bakersfield may generate new interest in her. At one time, we were discussing preplanned work days where folks could get together and help with the restoration. This could also be used as a learning experience for the newer members just starting out in the old boat thing but do not have any experience working on boats. I also had hoped this could defer some of the costs, since members may be more willing to show up with the necessary supplies (e.g. “I’ll pick up a couple of quarts of varnish”, etc.)
I’m assuming Phil has some property in Bakersfield, but you mentioned he has offered to house the Mary Diane for awhile. Do we have any definition of what “awhile” is? I would hate to see the Mary Diane shuttled all over California, and as you’re aware the cost to store her was prohibitive. Would Phil have any objections to folks showing up on his property to allow work on her? I’m not sure if I would feel comfortable with a bunch of strangers wandering around my place and having to use our bathrooms all the time. Plus, there’s the legal aspect of things in our litigious society…if someone got hurt while doing the work is Phil’s homeowners insurance going to cover it? I know the folks that we deal with in this old boating world are all good people, and we may be able to get by with everyone signing a simple waiver, but not sure that would hold up if someone lost a finger. If Phil’s place isn’t right, maybe Larry McKay would be willing to house the Mary Diane at his shop in Bakersfield. Jack Armistead has really jumped into the Glasspar thing with both feet, and I know he has property in Fresno which might be another consideration.

Hopefully my comments don’t come across as negative; I’m just trying to be realistic. I think it would be a great idea to consider and feel more comfortable having Michael’s approval. I’ve obviously added a few other folks to this email that I believe have a say and may have other comments to consider.

George Bell
The Other George :)
________
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:52 PM
To: George Bell; George Furtsch
Cc: Michael McKinney; Matt Tritt; Eddie Grijalva
Subject: Re: Meridian
Engine status. With some help on funding from George Bell I picked up a short block and 2 sets of heads. The original engine was so rusted that nothing in it was recoverable. Yes, rust can be removed but once that is done all the dimensions have changed so even if it looks pretty it is scrap.
All the possibly usable parts are in storage along with the replacement short block. Carb needs a rebuild, suspect the starter is not recoverable but could be wrong. Pretty much know what is needed to get the engine in good mechanical shape. Not so sure about the rest of the power train. Velvetdrive was under water as long as the engine was so really have very little hope for it being good. Memory tells me the prop had a chunk missing so needs to be replaced. Prop shaft I never got a good look at but have no doubt at least the bearings and seals need replacing.
Due to my location I will not be able to travel to anywhere mentioned to do work on the boat itself. Sacramento is about 3 hours from here and you can figure driving time to other locations in the state based on that. Bakersfield or Fresno are no more practical for me than Mojave is.
When the day comes that installing the engine is reasonable I’ll take a week to deliver and help install if need be. Doing the final assembly of the engine before it is really going to be used would be foolish...they don’t like to sit around doing nothing for extended periods of time and at this point I’m guessing it will be a matter of years before the assembly and install would be good idea.
Parts needed for the basic engine...marine gasket set, camshaft and lifters (I suggest solid lifter rather than hydraulic for various reasons), pushrods, at least new bearings throughout and hardened exhaust seats in one more cylinder head (one already has been done). Oil pump and pick up and drive shaft, timing chain and gears. I would suggest a distributor rebuild along with the carb rebuild. I honestly do not remember what air filtration components were still there.
I have yet to pressure test the exhaust manifolds so do not know that will be needed there yet. Minimum of gaskets, of course. With the boat work stalled I really haven’t put a very high priority on the engine project since it is not of use until the rest is done.
I agree with Michael that the Meridian should somehow be a club owned boat. I have no idea what legalities are involved to make that happen, however.
Keep me in the loop if you would. I do have an interest and desire in the Meridian project.
______
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:53 PM
To: George Bell
Cc: Michael McKinney ; Matt Tritt ; Eddie Grijalva ; Rod Burkholder

My fault bad wording. Phil actually said he has plenty of room at his house in Bakersfield, there was no awhile to it.
I am inclined to copy him on this as you made some valid points about visitors he may not have considered. Does anyone have a problem with me forwarding this to him?
_____
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 11:06 PM
To: George Furstch; George Bell
Cc: Michael McKinney; Matt Tritt; Eddie Grijalva

Not me. Anything that will advance the Meridian project is all good from my point of view.
_____
Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:11 AM
To: George Furstch
Cc: 'Michael McKinney; Matt Tritt; 'Eddie Grijalva'; 'Rod Burkholder'
Subject: RE: Meridian

No worries, George. We could just move this whole discussion onto the GOA forum and open it up to all members. Thoughts?
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
1 year 3 months ago #29406 by edwardgrijalva6020
edwardgrijalva6020 replied the topic: Moving the Mary Diane?
It sure would be nice to get the show on the road. What ever you boys decide, I am 101 percent behind you. Just my 2 cents worth.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29408 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: Moving the Mary Diane?
I know the story and I would love to see this project get going so I'm in favor for what that is worth. :) However, I am sure there are members here who have not heard of or been following the Mary Diane rescue project. I found this info post by George Bell back in 2010 which has a link to the backstory and pictures that may help get new GOA members up to speed on the MD.

"In case it wasn't seen on the main forum, Eddie asked me to repost here for the Florida group.

Realized there are a lot of new folks on here that are not familiar with this story so I thought I would share.

Posted over on the GSG site:

www.goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?t=2327

George "

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com