× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Transom drain hole from bilge

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29420 by AyeAyeCapn
AyeAyeCapn replied the topic: Transom drain hole from bilge
Thanks, George. I AM a huge fan of 5200 by the way. I always have extra life jackets, fire extinguishers, flares, 5200, and scotch.

Went with a Seachoice 18781, vertical dimension is only 1.50", won't have to grind off the bottom of the flange. Construction is still plastic (nylon) but 5200 can overcome anything! Only ned to open the hole in ransom to 1.00" diameter about .70-.80" deep, so less stock will be removed from the transom.

Thanks all!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #29685 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Transom drain hole from bilge
I used one of those three-screw bronze garboard drain plugs in my resto-mod Citation. I opened up the hole to accept, flooded the exposed transom layers with penetrating epoxy (yes messy), and then used slightly thickend 2-ton epoxy to bed the plate while driving in the three screws.

That area has a tendency to remain wet while in the water, or under way (stern down) if there is any moisture in the inner-hull ... So best to work the transom layers well to seal as best as possible from the inside ...

And I'm a big fan of 5200 too :)

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
11 months 4 weeks ago #29695 by AyeAyeCapn
AyeAyeCapn replied the topic: Transom drain hole from bilge
Thanks for your input, woodland. I opened up the existing hole to fit the OD of the fitting I showed in my previous post, but wasn't comfortable with the (2) new screw holes in a wood transom (under the thin glass skin) so, now that the bore was big enough I used the brass sleeve I already had, 52hundreded it real heavy duty, rotated it to coat all the ID surfaces, and it's good. The major OD on the plastic fitting was shorter than the transom thickness, also, and that influenced my decision.

Strangely but as can be expected, a couple weeks later I found the flip lever expanding plug that I originally removed. That ALWAYS happens! It wasn't very robust for something in that location, so I'm happy with the new configuration.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com