× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Transom drain hole from bilge

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #29401 by AyeAyeCapn
Transom drain hole from bilge was created by AyeAyeCapn
This is my last really stupid question, I promise.

Transom is rebuilt and very solid, engine well is finally made to fit, engine is on and runs well (!!), There are (2) drains holes, one starboard side above inner deck, 1", used sealer and brass drain tube 1" diameter, fits 1" expansion plug. One additional hole, smaller than 1", at bottom of transom by "V" that measures about .700" diameter. It's bare wood through the bore, is an opening from hidden bilge between deck and hull bottom. . I can find NOTHING to provide a removable plug for the hole. All brass/bronze tubes are too big, and if I built one, no removable plugs are available. It is not accessible from the cockpit of the boat, there is no well for a bilge pump as I've seen in other postings. Inner deck is flat and glassed over. I could build a tube from brass or SS, but again, there are no suitable 5/8" plugs. In the many pictures I took before I took everything apart, I can't tell what, if anything was in that hole. No marine stores or on-line outlets have anything that would fit Al are larger, or designed for bait wells.

Any suggestions? It's OK to giggle - I promise no more dumb questions.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #29402 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Transom drain hole from bilge
I have a bilge drain like yours however mine has a threaded plug. In your case I would probably just increase the hole diameter to accept the 1" brass or SS sleeve and put in an expansion plug. Quick & simple and it works.
Jack

More
2 years 3 months ago #29403 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Transom drain hole from bilge
A friend who was monitoring this topic suggested that instead of the tube and expansion plug as I recommended a better way would be to install a garboard plug (what I have in mine, just didn't know it) The garboard plug will not get hung up on fishing line, ski ropes, kelp tor pretty much anything else.
Jack

More
2 years 3 months ago #29404 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Transom drain hole from bilge
Here is what I used on my Sunliner. You will probably need to drill the hole a bit bigger to mount the drain. Then two screws and some 3M 5200 sealant will finish it.

-JR (Jerry)

Attachments:

• AyeAyeCapn
  • AyeAyeCapn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #29409 by AyeAyeCapn
Replied by AyeAyeCapn on topic Transom drain hole from bilge
Thanks all for your input. I did plan to open the hole to 1" to accept a standard tube and plug (spent a ton on a quality 1" drill) but, it appears opening the hole will get too close for comfort to the bottom. Considered a garboard fitting also, but the flanges are large enough to be 1/2"-3/4" below the bottom. I can grind the "overhang" off, but figured there must be a better way. Will likely go the garboard route.

16again: Threaded plug - into the wood of the transom? I'd be concerned about that with repeated insertion and removal. Is it bronze? plastic?

LOVE 5200 - what I want to know is why no matter how careful you are, it ends up EVERYWHERE when using it.

More
2 years 3 months ago #29418 by GeorgeFurtsch
Replied by GeorgeFurtsch on topic Transom drain hole from bilge
I found this for you, bad news you should probably use 5200 on this also, messy
www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Garboard-...D=shopping_connexity

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds