× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon WOT

• 16again
  • 16again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
1 year 5 months ago #29224 by 16again
16again created the topic: WOT
For those of you that have a Seafair Sedan I'm interested in what kind of WOT speed you are achieving, recognizing that not all speed O"s are accurate or the same. Last night took mine out with the 90hp Evinrude Ficht with a 13 3/4 14 aluminum prop and ran 38mph fully trimmed with two people on board. Seemed pretty good but have nothing to compare it to. Please provide HP and prop. specs.

Thanks
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #29225 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: WOT
Jack,

Do you have a tachometer? RPM is more meaningful than MPH. If your prop is the right size, your engine will be turning close to the rated hp rpm value and whatever speed that turns out to be is the best you can expect. BTW, a 14" pitch prop sounds a little small to me for a Seafair with 90hp. Is it a 3 or 4 blade prop?

FYI: my Seafair Sunliner with a Honda 90 runs about the same speed (GPS 37-38 mph trimmed out with two up). The prop is a 17 inch pitch 3 blade aluminum. The Honda 90 rated HP is at 5800 RPM and this prop runs WOT at 5900 RPM. Close enough.

-JR (Jerry)

More
1 year 5 months ago #29226 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: WOT
Hello Jack,

That’s moving. Fastest I ever got Mama Mia! up to was 33 mph and read on a GPS.

Running a 1961 Merc 800.

Terry
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #29232 by John_P
John_P replied the topic: WOT

16again wrote: For those of you that have a Seafair Sedan I'm interested in what kind of WOT speed you are achieving, recognizing that not all speed O"s are accurate or the same. Last night took mine out with the 90hp Evinrude Ficht with a 13 3/4 14 aluminum prop and ran 38mph fully trimmed with two people on board. Seemed pretty good but have nothing to compare it to. Please provide HP and prop. specs.

Thanks
Jack

Jack:

We have a 1960 Seafair Sedan with a "Mercury 90 H.P. 2-Stroke" that has been "tweaked" a little. With a 3 bladed Mercury Aluminum Prop (17 pitch) we see 42 MPH (GPS) with my Wife and I in the boat @ WOT. Our Mercury Speedometer reads 44 MPH @ WOT. We see about 5600 RPM at that speed and that is actually above what Mercury says that engine should be running at.
I want to go up to a 19 pitch this summer to see what the results will be.

When we bought the boat, it had a "Johnson 60 H.P. 2-Stroke Outboard on it and with a 17 pitch aluminum OMC Prop the Seafair would only run 28 MPH @ WOT. I couldn't live with that! :laugh:

I hope that helps you some.

• 16again
  • 16again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
1 year 5 months ago #29234 by 16again
16again replied the topic: WOT
Looked at my prop again today and realized that I posted some incorrect info in my original post, prop is actually a 13 3/4 X 15 aluminum 3 blade not 14 and my son said that at WOT we were running 4800 RPM. MPH was indicated on the Evinrude speedo, didn't check my GPS. According to the owners manual RPM should be 4500 - 5500 at WOT. I have a 14X17 prop also and will be trying it soon although I would like to see RPM's up around 5200 - 5400 as IMHO believe running a little closer to the recommended max is better for a 2 cycle motor.
Speed is not the main objective if I want to go fast we have a 22' Hallett Day Cruiser with a twin turbo charged 520" Ford that gets it done.

More
1 year 5 months ago #29250 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: WOT
Jack,

As mentioned, it has been years since we've had our Sedan out, but what I recall, we were getting about that 38 to 40 mph range. That was two people aboard and measured by our old speedo. Water conditions were fairly decent chop. 1967 Merc 1100SS (110-hp) with 3-blade 15-pitch aluminum prop.

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com