× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #29162 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
George, not bum advice by any means.

We are fortunate they are still around for OEM parts. If they were gone Glasspar folks will be in a hard place. The rub rail fits and you’re not going to find a replacement anywhere else. I did try to source this window gasket elsewhere with no good results.

Not sure what the problem is but the 1116G does not fit in the channel, the window posts or the molded grooves on the deck and cabin top. Notice in my drawing the difference between the original and the 2nd order is only 1/16” width which is the problem. Wefcos best explanation was the original stuff shrunk. I think there just grabbing the wrong die and saying its close enough.

It fits in the channel without the glass.

But no way with the glass in the gasket.

1116G, almost makes it in the end but channel started to open.

Original, may have shrunk a hair but not 1/16"

The original gaskets don’t look too bad from a distance but they are stained and dried out and cracking and now missing a chunk on one window so sure would like to get the right stuff.

Jack, What year is your Sedan? And please show me what your gasket looks like.

You may want to send them a sample and also see if they can send you a sample of the 1116G for comparison. I asked for a sample when I placed the order last time and they did not have it which I could not understand. Heck I got 40’ of sample.

Would love to show Mama Mia! at Tahoe in September but heard we could not show her in the water with the old Merc. Just learned yesterday our friends up in Michigan are hosting the 2018 ACBS international event at Port Huron. 2017 in Clayton NY.

And what's up at FG?

Thanks,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #29163 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Terry,

During your previous search, did you get any quotes from the various rubber molding companies? Some of them appear to be willing to do custom runs at small quantities. www.iqsdirectory.com/rubber-molding/?gcl...p8GI40H1fRoCwkzw_wcB I would think at $4.00/ft, other companies could be competetive. Even if we had to do a larger run, the request for this molding comes up rather often and we may be able to place the larger order and sell it to members at cost(?)

Do me a favor please and crop your picture of the original trim. The measurements on your picture is a little blurry, and I'd hate to be guessing incorrectly. Once posted, I can go get several quotes and let everyone know the results. Thinking about it, I wonder if Wefco can do custom extrusions? Given your comments of their poor customer service, that may not be the right choice anymore.

George

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #29165 by Terrydi
George,

I did not even consider custom extrusion assuming it would be cost prohibitive. I believe a die has to made first and that’s got to cost a chunk of money.

The thing about Wefco extruding parts for marine use is it’s a small part of their business and a guy there told me it was more trouble than it’s worth. Robin that told me that they are actually considering not running white at all because they have to clean the machinery beforehand so the white rubber does not get contaminated and I guess that’s a lot of extra work. I can understand that as I have been in rubber manufacturing plants and they are filthy.

Looking at this now I think the first order they sent me was 1199. That was even bigger yet at 5/8" wide.
And it was the 4273 rubrail they sent me rather than the 1 1/4 G which is correct.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• 16again
  • 16again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
2 years 3 months ago #29167 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
My boat is a 1964. Well today I installed the rubber molding on the bridge windows, it was more of a job than I had anticipated as I was replacing one of the windows and using one from a 1959 model. Large radiused corners made the job considerably more difficult. Used a hot glue gun to secure the mitered corners, worked pretty well. If the corners are mitered perfectly and the glue is used on the last 2" of glass bottom it works the best as the corners are actually forced together not actually glued.

With regard to fitting the aluminum channel my plan is to run the pieces with glass installed thru the jointer or butt sander to remove the material necessary for them to fit. I found in doing the mitered corners the stationary belt sander worked great. The butt sander would probably have worked just as well but didn't try it.

The 1116 G that I received is exactly like what you have pictured. It is nothing like what came on the boat. Tomorrow I will take pics and post. Since my originals are only discolored and are still very pliable I am contemplating trying to salvage them and forget about using the new rubber.

Jack

More
2 years 3 months ago #29169 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Thanks, Terry!

Let me make some inquiries.

George

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #29171 by Terrydi
Jack,
How did you get it so quickly and did you let them know it does not fit?

This shows l-r, original, 1st order they sent, 2nd order which is what you say you received.

Yeah perfect miters help and as you know the side windows are not 45 deg which makes it more of a challenge.

There is a cleaning product called "Roll Off" which does a great job at cleaning up rubber. I buy it by the gallon at West Marine and makes the white rubbrail look like new.

It helped clean up my old window gaskets but they really need replacement.

Please post pics.

George,

Interested to see what you learn.

Thanks guys,
Terry
Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds