× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan

• 16again
  • 16again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29147 by 16again
I know that somewhere I saw a source for the rubber window molding around the cabin glass but my foggy old mind can't remember where, does anyone have a source?
Thanks
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #29148 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Jack,

From my records, windshield molding is part # 1116G from Wefco ( www.wefcorubber.com/ ). I would do a double check on the part number with them when ordering.

George

• 16again
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29151 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Just got off the phone with wefco and your product number is correct. Stuff is sold in 25' minimum order quantities, white is produced every 3 months and the cost is $4.00 per foot plus tax and freight from the LA area. I needed 13' to do the 2 large bridge windows so now I guess i'll do side ones also.
Thanks again George
Jack

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #29159 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Hey Jack,

Be very careful dealing with Wefco and be sure to ask for Robin. I have had 3 go- rounds with them trying to replace the widow gasket on my 59 Sedan. Today I still have the original 57 year old gaskets on my boat minus the sections I cut out to send them that they did not return.

I twice sent them samples of what I have and twice they sent me the wrong product. The second shipment I still have because they would not take it back so I’m sitting on 40’ of what they call the 1116G.

I decided to give them another shot at it last summer and sent another sample to Robin who was very professional and courteous. I cannot say that of everyone that works there. She said based on my original gasket sample the 1116G was closest match to what they had available. I then sent them a sample of what they had already sold me she said they could not match it without running it and would only run it if I gave them the order. I figured they could just match to the die but she said no. So I threw the dice and gave them the order. She had mercy on me and sent me a sample of the 1116G after running and it is identical to what they sold me before which does not fit. And she cancelled the order.

Later year Sedans used a softer hollow gasket that was fused at the corners. Our friend King Oscar has a 67 Sedan and also butted heads with them and ended up with stuff he could not use and they would not take it back.

When I first got my Sedan I ordered the rub rail and it was a perfect match. Years later on my first-go round trying to get the window gasket I decided to replace the rub rail again. They referenced my first order and said yeah no problem and we will send you the same stuff again along with the window gasket. Both were wrong and did not fit although they did give me credit that time. But I did have to pay shipping and that stuff is heavy. They have us by the short hairs because this is the only source for the original product.

The second order is actual dimensions of what I have and is their 1116G. I can make you good deal on 40’ if you’re interested.

original gasket

1116G- notice the two sections of the center window pilar is not closing fully. And the gasket will not fit in the channels on flybridge properly. I got all kind of advice to make it work. You gotta heat it up, you got to put soap on it, and you’re just too damn picky. Maybe so but it has to right if it’s on Mama Mia!

I guess some have used the 3723 and made it fit but that is not correct.
As far as a sealant I did use silicone on the cabin glass but nothing on the fly bridge. I also used contact cement at the miter cuts in the corners.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Terry
Attachments:

• 16again
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
2 years 7 months ago #29160 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Thanks Terry I appreciate the info, unfortunately I've already order. I believe it was Robin I talked with but not sure. Its hard to believe it is so difficult to produce the correct product. Possibly there is just not enough demand to warrant the cost of production but you would think with all of the Old Boats being done there would be a fair demand, even more if people knew that it was going to be correct and they could possibly advertised a little.

Given anymore thought to a West Coast vacation this year, we would all love to see MaMaMia?

Jack

More
2 years 7 months ago #29161 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Window rubber moldings for Seafair Sedan
Terry - Sorry to hear about this problem with Wefco! My one experience with them was the rub rail for the SOS G-3. People were very helpful and order came correct the first time. Sounds like that may not be the case anymore. I've heard Taco Marine does rubber moldings, but have never dealt with them. I'll spend some time tomorrow trying to find a new supplier.

Jack - I'm hoping you have better luck with them. So sorry if I gave you some bum advice.

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds