× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Tri-Five Avalon

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #29115 by Jayarrgh
Tri-Five Avalon was created by Jayarrgh
I am re-starting the thread for this project here in the General Forum.

Tri-Five = ’55, ’56, ’57. The Avalon I recently picked up has no documentation but it was definitely made in one of those years. I am not certain which year, so just for grins, I will split the difference and call it a ’56. Overall condition is poor though the hull and deck are structurally in good shape. Not many of this original version Avalon left, so I have decided to get it back into running condition.

So far, I have removed 60 years worth of a mixed batch of odd fittings (aluminum, brass, chromed brass, stainless steel, galvanized, cast iron and a lot of URO -Unidentified Rusty Objects). Most of the original floor is now out and I am working on what is left of the wood stringers.

-JR (Jerry)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #29116 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
What defines this Avalon as a Tri-Five are three unique features:
One the Bullnose bow fitting/handle.

Two the stern lifting handles (exterior and interior matching parts)

Note: I think these fittings are green sand castings probably made in small numbers for Glasspar by a master molder. Nice looking curved design but not easy to cast. These were functional yet elegant pieces on a simple boat design. The early Avalons had no brightwork, either wood or metal trim other than the chrome "AVALON" emblem on the dash. :huh:

Three the curved transom

Here is another touch of old school elegance. A curved transom is a difficult production item. The plywood core probably had to be in a steam press for several hours to get the curve, then the stiffener added while it was still "soft" to make it stay curved. Note the edges of the engine mounting cutout are just that .. cut out of a full height transom. The full height curved transom was assembled with the hull and deck and THEN cut to make motor mount. I'm guessing that came from the original design concept of a full transom with the engine(s) mounted on a bracket. :unsure:

Personally I like the looks of a curved transom. But I'm not so sure I will like it after I have tried to repair one. The damage to the Avalon transom is only on the top section but I will have have to match the curve somehow. Since I am talking about Glasspar and curved transoms, I have been wanting to mention this artists concept picture in the 1960 Glasspar brochure. The boat is a Seafair Sunliner (like mine) and the artist drew it with a curved transom and no visible engine. Could there have been an I/O version planned back then or was it just that somebody there really liked curved transoms? :whistle:

-JR (Jerry)

More
2 years 6 months ago #29117 by Salmonbob
Replied by Salmonbob on topic Tri-Five Avalon
where can I get to seafair sedan info like this? can I filter it down somehow? thx for any help
Bob

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
2 years 6 months ago #29118 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Tri-Five Avalon
Bob,

The pic of the Seafair Sunliner I posted came from the Fiberglassics website library section:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glasspar

The GOA factory brochure section has not been restored yet but George Bell (gwbell) has the best collection of Glasspar brochures that I have ever seen. If you have a particular Seafair question perhaps he can come up with pics from a brochure that will answer it.

-JR (Jerry)

More
2 years 6 months ago #29119 by Salmonbob
this is my project, l'm looking for other photos of before and after projects that show some good details

Bob

More
2 years 6 months ago #29120 by Salmonbob
this is my project, l'm looking for other photos of before and after projects that show some good details

Bob

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds