× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS

• Fitzy
  • Fitzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 4 months ago #29051 by Fitzy
Hey Folks....Great job on the website and thanks for all the hard work. Months back I tried to write an article and post photos of my finished Seafair project but I couldn't get photos to upload, so I gave up. Anyway, BoatUS made things easy for me. I'm real proud to say they ran my boat in their Renovation Nation section last month! It was quite a cool thing for them to do

Many of you probably get the hard copy magazine so you can check it out, but you can also read it at this link, (You might have to cut and paste)

www.boatusmagazine.com/boatusmagazine/febmar2016?pg=101#pg101

I'm going to try again to write the article for the forum about how the project went and more photos later on. I want to thank this great organization for all the help along the way. Up here on the bays of Long Island very few people have older boats, everything is new and looks the same....Happy to say, I turn a lot of heads when I bring Fina around

Check out how I made the all white 1995 Johnson look like a 1960's engine...it fools all of them
Thanks
Fitzy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #29052 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS
John,

How cool is that?!? :woohoo: Your boat turned out to be a BEAUTY!!!

Sorry to hear that you had some issues with the site. Michael McKinney (webmaster) is still working diligently to bring the site back after this last hacking. Once up, I hope that you'll create a personal gallery (if you had'nt already). I'd love to read more info on your boat and restoration! If you do have any continued issues posting, get a hold of me direct and I may be able to post on your behalf.

Thanks for doing such a great job representing our association! :)

George
five dot bells at comcast dot net

P.S. more details on your motor retrofit would be appreciateed, as well!

More
4 years 4 months ago #29053 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS
That's really a beauty. I hope that mine turn out 1/2 as nice.
Thanks for sharing the link.
Jack

• Fitzy
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 4 months ago #29082 by Fitzy
Replied by Fitzy on topic Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS
Jack
Sorry about getting back to you so late, but thank you very much for the kind words. They are greatly appreciated. I wish you great success with your project. Have you posted any photos?
John

• Fitzy
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #29083 by Fitzy
Replied by Fitzy on topic Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS
George
Thank you too for the kind words. When I get some time I'm going to get the boat in the personal gallery and also write up more about the restoration of my Seafair. Here is some information about the retro-fit of the engine with photos

As for the engine retro-fit.....The engine I got with the boat is a 1995 85 HP Johnson, which was a pretty bland and non-descript white with boring black insignias...Anyway, I cleaned and sanded up the engine and painted it 1968 Johnson Forest Green, which is readily available. I then sanded down the hood and did some basic filler bodywork on it. I painted it 1960's Johnson Cream white. I designed the motor cover concept myself from looking at different engines from the period. I went on ebay and scrounged a variety of cool insignias from the period, including the metal nameplates from a 1950's Johnson. You can see the hodge-podge because the rear of the engine has the Super Sea-Horse insignia and the front has the Meteor insignia....So it depends on your angle of view, but I like the idea that I had all the bases covered. I also taped it up and put a few orange and blue stripes (my own design from looking at old engine photos), and I panted the rubber trim a nice gold. The trim and striping colors were just cans of Rustoleum. I also refurbished the control box and used various knock off decals they sell online. Anyway, I thought it came out pretty cool and it has fooled everyone out here on Long Island's Great South Bay :laugh:
Photos below, I hope
More info coming on the restore
Thanks you Glasspar Association
Fitzy

Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #29084 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Seafar Sedan - Finished Project: BoatUS
Fitzy-
Take a look at Goldenstate Glassics for "Now the work begins 2/23 " and you will see where I've been. Built fold down seats with telescopic legs today will finish installing on Mon. Next is to build a new metal back seat frame and sundeck over the motor well, hoping to soften the appearance with upholstery, then I can get it ready to run. Not going to do the interior wood or exterior gel coat until I'm comfortable with operations. If everything works when I get it wet then I will probably refinish the wood and save the gel coat for fall. What I really want to do is use the damn thing, plus I have the one I got in New Mexico to get a floor into so that my son can start putting it together.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds