× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Early Avalon Trivia

• Jayarrgh
  • Jayarrgh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #28916 by Jayarrgh
Early Avalon Trivia was created by Jayarrgh
Several days of cold rainy weather :( has had me getting my "boating fix" from inside my home sitting at my computer browsing old Glasspar brochures. I noticed something unusual that GOA members may or may not have been aware of. In the 1955 brochure, the Avalon (goggle eye version) had an outboard bracket as standard equipment. A twin outboard bracket was optional.

By 1957 the Avalon seems to have the engine mounted directly on the transom. Also the sales brochure for that year does not list an Avalon bracket either standard or optional though the Del Mar does have two versions optional.

Fast forward to 1959 and the price list for that year (actually September 1958) shows a full transom option for both the Avalon and the Del Mar plus a single or twin outboard bracket as additional options.

Also of note is the 1959 availability of either a Plexi-glass or a tempered glass windshield for the Avalon deluxe model.

-JR (Jerry)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #28917 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic Early Avalon Trivia
Neat boat, wish my Avalon looked like it. Thanks for history lesson.
Have a blessed Christmas and happy holiday.
Jack

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28919 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Early Avalon Trivia
Thanks Jack, Happy Holidays to you and your family. :cheer: :cheer:

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28920 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Early Avalon Trivia
The windshield on the Avalon was made of Fiberglass, I remember working on these parts, sanding the edges, punching out the air voids, hand sanding to prep for primer for the final color finish.

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28922 by Jayarrgh

edwardgrijalva6020 wrote: The windshield on the Avalon was made of Fiberglass, I remember working on these parts, sanding the edges, punching out the air voids, hand sanding to prep for primer for the final color finish.

Thanks Eddie,

So those early Avalons did not have a gel coat? The colors were applied as paint then. Note that you could get any of the colors on either hull or deck. That could have resulted in some very unusual looking combo paint jobs. :laugh:

-JR (Jerry)

• Jayarrgh
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 6 months ago #28923 by Jayarrgh
A little speculation on that price list from Sept 1958. It seems you could order an Avalon or Del Mar with a full transom and no outboard bracket. Why build a boat with no way to mount an outboard? What if this was a step toward the future.

Fact: Earlier in 1958, Jim Wynn got a patent on the Inboard/Outboard drive. He sold that idea to Volvo Penta in August of that year and they had a prototype at the New York Boat Show in January of 1959.

Now if I were Jim Wynn, I would not have just offered the I/O drive to one company. I would have been presenting it to many companies involved in making boat motors and also to boat building companies as potential customers. Suppose Jim Wynn pitched the concept to Bill Tritt and capped it with the fact that the I/O drive was going to be a reality next year. Then a full transom bracket-less boat makes sense as a basis for the soon to be VP I/O drive! :ohmy:

Obviously I have too much time on my hands. :evil:

-JR (Jerry)

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds