× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon San Diego area 1959 Lido project

• Bob Hudson
  • Bob Hudson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
2 years 11 months ago #28851 by Bob Hudson
San Diego area 1959 Lido project was created by Bob Hudson
I owned sailboats for many years, but for the last several years my boating consisted mostly of various inflatables powered by 2 and 3 hp Suzuki and Nissan outboards. I am a dealer in collectible militaria and while doing a buy this past summer I saw the guy had 14-footer with motor and trailer for sale. It was one the 14-foot Gamefishers that look a bit like Boston Whalers. The price was quite right and since I didn't have a trailer hitch, the seller agreed to deliver it my house. I had never planned on getting a trailer boat but while contemplating this boat, I took some measurements and fond that by clearing away part of small embankment, I had room for a boat trailer!

I sold my 3hp Nissan to help finance that purchase.

I built a heavy duty outboard stand with locking casters and started right in on the 25hp Evinrude: the boat itself mostly needed CF numbers applied to be ready for the water (the previous owner had painted the hull black). The trailer need new lights (don't they always).

It was a cool-looking boat, but I began to realize that I'm too old for tiller steering: I need a steering wheel and a seat with a back, so I began looking at other Craigslist ads. Looked at one old Montgomery Ward Sea King glassic but it just needed more work that I wanted to do.

In the meantime I got the Evinrude working and sold it for more than I'd paid for the whole boat/motor/trailer combo :)

Another CL ad lead me to a 1959 Glasspar Lido with a 35hp Merc. Again the seller agreed to deliver it to my house and whereas a two months before I had no boats, I now had two parked out front. That meany paring one car on the street and getting up early every other Thursday to go for a drive until the street sweeper and its attendant parking enforcement truck passed by my house. This is one of those times when you appreciate an understanding spouse. Luckily, she was enamored by the cute little Lido.

After a couple of weeks I sold the Gamefisher and the profit I made off that whole deal covered most of the cost of the Lido.

I fired up the 35hp Merc just once so far: it started, which is always good news and after I do what's needed on the boat itself I'll get back to the motor.

The biggest project for now is the plywood deck. The previous owner had removed most of the glass over the deck because it was delaminated in places. The glass is in good shape where it attaches the plywood to the hull and the wood itself seems sound. I am thinking about using Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring to cover the deck: it gets lots of good reviews from people who've had it on their boat decks for, in some cases, many years.

The steering cable/pulley system needs some work: the seller included a coil of new cable and I'll replace some of the pulleys and springs.

I also have to replace the remote throttle/shift cable.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Hudson
  • Bob Hudson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #28852 by Bob Hudson
Replied by Bob Hudson on topic San Diego area 1959 Lido project
Here's a short video of the Lido.

More
2 years 11 months ago #28856 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic San Diego area 1959 Lido project
Bob, great story and a nice looking Lido. It is definitely not common to make a profit when selling your boat, good for you. I like the plaid seat covers. :)

-JR (Jerry)

More
2 years 11 months ago #28857 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic San Diego area 1959 Lido project
Bob,

WELCOME to the site!!

There's a lot of cool things happening with your Lido! I, like JR, really like the plaid seat cushions! Very retro look! :) Nice trailer and motor combo as well! That Merc should serve you well.

Have not heard of this vinyl flooring you're planning on using, and I be curious to see some pics once applied.

Again...WELCOME!!

George

More
2 years 11 months ago #28861 by 16again
Replied by 16again on topic San Diego area 1959 Lido project
This product was very common on House boats of the 70's and 80's. Bought my last thru West Marine or Overtons. I believe this is the same or like material that was in my Dad's 67 or 68 Avalon. Glues down and when warm is pretty easy to work with even in the wide width.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds