× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Mark 75A starting issues. HELP

• wuertz85220
  • wuertz85220's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 10 months ago #28789 by wuertz85220
wuertz85220 created the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
I have a 1959 Mark 75A on my Trident. My ignition switch, although missing the key tumbler, would activate and the engine would turn over. When I turned the key back is would continue to turn over. (Possible solenoid failure?). Well it then stopped turning over all together. I put in a new key switch and still nothing. Just wondering where to start tracing this problem. I read somewhere to jump the battery straight to the starter and then work backwards. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #28792 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
It is possible you fried that solenoid, but I'm really thinking you have a shorted wire somewhere. I would carefully inspect each wire for cracks that may have caused a short before attempting to start again. You'll need to make at least some temporary repairs to the wiring (either electrical tape or liquid insulation) just to eliminate the short. Then consider replacing wiring later.

Don't let yourself get discouraged. Time and patience will pay off. It took me a hell of a long time to figure out how to get our second 1965 Merc 1100SS running. Don't ask about the first one. :sick: :pinch: But when that beast roared to life, I literally did a happy dance in the boat that was parked on the street. One neighbor actually came out and applauded! :laugh:

I'd suggest getting a hold of Thom Adams. He goes by the handle of Frankenmerc on most forums and lives in the Washington area. He is a true guru when it comes to these old Mercs, but not sure about the direct drive motors. He patiently walked me through the work I did with that second Merc, and have sought his help on other motors. Very nice guy and always willing to help! Thom can be contacted at frankenmerc at comcast dot net. Not sure I should give out his phone number online, but you can email me direct. Trust me...this man is a gem!

George
five dot bells at comcast dot net

More
1 year 10 months ago #28793 by Terrydi
Terrydi replied the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
Hello wuertz,

I’m thinking a Mark75A schematic and a volt ohm meter would be helpful. Avoid jumping stuff out because it tends to make sparks and those can cause trouble.

When you turn the key on it should send 12 volts to the solenoid switch coil to make the contacts and turn the starter motor. When you turn the key off the motor should stop. The solenoid should click when energized.

It’s pretty simple stuff when you use a volt meter to look for the 12v signal. The ohm meter can also be used to statically check switches and conductors for continuity with the 12v battery disconnected.

Terry

George, I can just see you doing your happy dance.

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 10 months ago #28800 by wuertz85220
wuertz85220 replied the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
Thank you George and Terry. I do have some cracked wiring due to the age. I will start my trouble shooting.

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
1 year 10 months ago #28810 by wuertz85220
wuertz85220 replied the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
Replaced all the cracked and exposed wiring on the engine and in the control box. Now to try starting.

More
1 year 10 months ago #28811 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Mark 75A starting issues. HELP
Keeping my fingers crossed!! :)

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com