× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Boat Cover

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boater
  • Fresh Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago #28742 by Tyler
Boat Cover was created by Tyler
I have a 1948 Avalon. Can anyone recommend a good boat cover? Many cover manufacturers ask for the make and model and of course none of them recognize Glasspar. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #28746 by wuertz85220
Replied by wuertz85220 on topic Boat Cover
For my 1953 Chris Craft I just bought a 20ft universal cover to keep the elements off of her. I used some bungee cords to snug the cover down. I think it was like $180. Been on for about 2 years and no issues.

More
4 years 8 months ago #28748 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Boat Cover
Tyler,

Here's a previous thread on boat covers for Avalons: classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=co...328&Itemid=545#27798

I thought your boat was a 1959? As far as I know, the Glasspar company was just being formed in 1948. At that time I thought they were just producing the glass spars and some small sailing dingies.

Love to see some pics of your boat! :)

George

More
4 years 8 months ago #28751 by raydawg
Replied by raydawg on topic Boat Cover
Here is what I did for my Seafair.
It already had plenty of good snap buttons in place from its original 1959 build.
I bought a kit online that supplied the stuff you need to "replace" broken buttons, etc.
I bought an off the shelf tarp that I knew would cover it.
I then lined up a button with the new tarp. I punched a hole through it and installed a new snap button, and snapped it into place. I kept going, as I stretched the tarp, lined it up, punched a new hole, snapped it, and so on....
It keeps all the elements out and fits pretty darn good.
I plan on using a better material later on now that I know I can do this :P

More
4 years 8 months ago #28754 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic Boat Cover

raydawg wrote: Here is what I did for my Seafair.
It already had plenty of good snap buttons in place from its original 1959 build.
I bought a kit online that supplied the stuff you need to "replace" broken buttons, etc.
I bought an off the shelf tarp that I knew would cover it.
I then lined up a button with the new tarp. I punched a hole through it and installed a new snap button, and snapped it into place. I kept going, as I stretched the tarp, lined it up, punched a new hole, snapped it, and so on....
It keeps all the elements out and fits pretty darn good.
I plan on using a better material later on now that I know I can do this :P

Sounds like a great way to make this work! I'd love to see some pics of how it turned out!

George

More
4 years 7 months ago #28853 by Bob Hudson
Replied by Bob Hudson on topic Boat Cover
I bought a nice cover at a Walmart for about $40 and for another $30 or so online I bought a cover support system that has a padded center base with four straps you secure to the bow and stern. The support and straps keep the cover from sagging. I bought some adjustable bungee cords to run under the boat to secure the cover and keep it taut. It is nice and tight and so far no puddles even during heavy rains. We are supposed to have a rainy winter in Southern California and this under $100 seems like it should do the job.

The cover is the Harbor Master 150-Denier Polyester Boat Cover. It seems like it should easily outlast a typical blue tarp (my last blue tarp rotted in the sun in less than two months).

I tied a long piece of light nylon rope to one end of each bungee cord. I tied a heavy washer to the other end of the each rope. When I go to put the cover on, I just hook the bungees to one side of the cover and toss the weighted ropes to the other side of the boat. I can then easily grab the rope and use it to pull the bungee cord under tension. The cover goes on quickly with this system.

The cover is long enough to also protect the Mercury 35 on my Lido. I use a bungee cord to tighten the cover beneath the motor along the rear of the transom.

Attachments:

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds