× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Battery

• 16again
  • 16again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Gold Boater
  • Gold Boater
More
2 years 1 week ago #28652 by 16again
16again created the topic: Battery
Since I'm going thru the Jubilee this next week I need to install a new battery, what are others using with these older motors? In my old cars I generally go with a correct size and modern construction ie sealed or gel. This is generally so that I can fit into an original battery case. Ideas will be helpful.
Thanks
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #28657 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: Battery
Jack,

We use a 27-series deep cycle battery. A lot of folks will use a combination of a cranking battery for the motor and a deep cycle for the boat electronics.

George

More
1 year 4 hours ago - 1 year 4 hours ago #29686 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Battery
I've been using an Optima Yellow Top for years. Group 24 IIRC ... I understand they moved the production plant and now things are not as good as the early ones. But this one is going on 8 years and shows no signs of decay or other issues. Very low internal discharge rate. Holds charge for a l-o-n-g time :)

I think a lot has to do with how well your charging circuit is designed. Some of the earlier outboards had very primitive charging circuits. They can toast a battery that is sensitive to overcharging. If I had one of those, I'd prolly go to a Group 31 Deep Cycle flooded battery. They can handle a bit of overcharge much easier as they don't build internal heat between the "wraps" as easily ...

Interstate has regional distributors. Often you can get good deals on one-day-use Interstate deep cycle batteries. They get rented for movie shoots, or flashers on highway jobs and get returned after a few days use. They get recharged, tested, and resold at steep discounts :)

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #29696 by AyeAyeCapn
AyeAyeCapn replied the topic: Battery
Just replaced the group 24 that came with my 16' Avalon (a Walmart who-knows-what battery) with an Interstate MEGA-TRON II group 24 cranking battery. (Only 12 VDC is running lights and VHF) Old battery, 3 years old, was loosing charge over a couple weeks when not used or charged and it couldn't turn the engine over (1974 70 HP Johnson) worth a hoot. The MEGA-TRON is incredible, but I'm a believer in overkill with batteries, life jackets, bilge pumps and flares. It's a few more bucks than the basic Interstate, but in my neighborhood, when the gators are swimming in your direction, ya want the engine to start. NOW

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #29703 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: Battery
Playing with my 1974 70HP triple Johns-a-Rude yesterday (first start since hanging this motor on transom...), I see the need for a BIG flooded battery to handle the constant charging from the permanent magnet "alternator".

Buddy brought over a Group 31 for the upcoming sea trials. Will retire the Optima to other uses...

Now to re-do the wiring system from the forward battery location to the new stern location. And changing from Honda wiring to more primitive OMC wiring. All fun, but challenging ::dry::

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com