× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1962 Citation

• GeorgeFurtsch
  • GeorgeFurtsch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago #28550 by GeorgeFurtsch
GeorgeFurtsch created the topic: 1962 Citation
I am curious, did the 62 citation have wood stringers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #28551 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: 1962 Citation
Welcome back, George!! :woohoo: Seems like it's been awhile since you stopped by here although I know you're pretty active on the GSG site.

Someone more knowledgable than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the fiberglass stringers came into play in 1963. I would assume this is on all models, but not positive on Citations, tho.

Again...welcome back!

The Other George :laugh:

• GeorgeFurtsch
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #28553 by GeorgeFurtsch
GeorgeFurtsch replied the topic: 1962 Citation
Hi George I've been on the site a number of times I just don't always login thank you for the welcome back. I found a 1962 citation with a matching 1962 75 hp Evinrude in the weeds in the Delta area close to Sacramento. According to the owner's roommate it's been sitting for three years and has not been out but it's registered through 2015. The owner says the motor runs however it has a ignition problem so he has to hotwire to start it. The owner does not appears to be mechanically inclined nor motivated to do any restoration work the boat looks to be in good shape still shines I didn't see any crazing in the gelcoat. The seats need to be recovered but all the hardware is there. Trailer is in great shape appears to be updated and not a 62. The owner said that he wants 1000 for it but I think he will take 800. I can't take on another project but this looks like a good deal for someone who can. Floor and transom appear to be solid. The mahogany cockpit wood trim needs to be refinished if anybody's interested they can call my cell 916-212-7904 and I'll tell you where it is.

More
2 years 1 month ago #28555 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: 1962 Citation
Sounds like a nice find, George. Mr. Barker has mentioned how old boats are abandoned all over the Delta area. Probably a good thing that I'm not nearby. I'd have a hard time not dragging home everything I ran across... :blink: :blush:

George

• GeorgeFurtsch
  • Senior Boater
  • Senior Boater
More
2 years 1 month ago #28557 by GeorgeFurtsch
GeorgeFurtsch replied the topic: 1962 Citation
I hoped that was the case, I would have hauled it away but he wants $$$. A couple of more years in the elements,he will have to pay to remove it.

More
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #29688 by woodlund
woodlund replied the topic: 1962 Citation
Yeah, a topic I can really talk to :)

I have a 1962 Citation that I'm doing a resto-mod on. Was too trashed to keep the interior. Had been through a lot of motors and been a Calif Delta fishing boat, so holes in lots of places, cracks here and there, etc.

My floor (sole) had come away from the stringers and it squeaked and popped when you walked on it. Plus it had a spongy spot up forward where it had sat, nose down, for years with water in it ...

So I went about cutting out the soft spot and re-fastening the floor to the stringers. The stringers in my boat ('62 made in Santa Ana) were all fiberglass. They are about 2" wide on top, somewhat wider on the base. They are 7" on center across the hull.

What I did was to go buy the kind of "Molly Bolts" that have a plastic point to go through sheet-rock and spread out when you tighten them by folding the sides (not the kind with the spring loaded flip out wings). I drilled the top glass layer off the plywood with a 5/8" spade bit. Then I drilled a 1/4" inch hole through the plywood and the stringer top.

Once I had enough holes drilled in enough stringers, I'd mix up some epoxy and dribble some in each hole as I went. I'd dip the Molly Bolt in the tub of epoxy, stick it in the floor hole and crank it down with a cordless drill. It's messy work, but the molly bolts bite into the plywood and as they tighten up they pull the floor down against the stinger. The epoxy locks them in place and protects them for incidental moisture. Some epoxy will squeeze into the joint as they tighten down. So it's a pretty solid join when cured :)

It seems that the factory was cost conscious to a fault when they were building out-of-sight wood to glass attachments. 1.) it was polyester resin which does not bond all that great to wood, if the wood has any residual moisture at all; and 2.) they were starved bonds. I can see not flooding the bonds, but these were really spotty when I pulled things apart ...

I did a pattern of 7" laterally (to catch the stringers) by 8" longitudinally working out and along from the middle stinger - front to rear. Once it was cured, that baby got tight and the boat was/is a lot more stable feeling. No more pop's and squeaks. Really solid under foot :)

As long as I was about it, I also shot some expanding foam into each alternate under-deck cavity. I left the actual stringers open to allow forward-aft drainage, if water does get in between the hull and sole. That helped to make it sort of a "Boston-Whaler Jr" and stiffen the whole boat. The foam is not structural, but it adds to stiffness if there is enough of it. I would not use foam for a boat that is in the water a lot. It can get wet and rot/mildew. But for a 99% air dry trailer boat - no biggie :)

This year I will be going back in to add a bilge pump in the under seat area into the main middle stringer cavity. Small diameter Rule and a float switch with a Pop-Out deck plate. Yeah it'll mean cutting away the top of the stringer. But, it's surrounded by acres of plywood and glass deck in the middle of the boat. And the basic strength/stiffness of the stringers is in their sidewall anyway.

I have a small one-way leak somewhere... You can fill the boat with water on the trailer (under floor and above) and nothing shows. But, put it in the water and it will pick up a quart or two in a days outing. I'm going overnight boat-camping in the next few years on lake Powell and Chelan, so I'll let the bilge pump handle the accumulation.

Note: that if you want to run a small depth sounder and try a glue-in transducer, in the inner hull, it prolly won't work ... A big powerful unit that fires a multi-crystal transducer with some actual wattage - yeah sure that'll work fine. But these hulls have enough glass and resin that even out 11" from the center line, my little Humminbird in-dash will not shoot through the hull. I tested all the parts before install, and I only get an occasional return signal/depth...

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com