× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1959 Trident restoration

More
1 year 6 months ago #29063 by 16again
16again replied the topic: 1959 Trident restoration
Jerry I just noticed your poem "The Wife and the Boat Building Bills" I can certainly identify with it. Been restoring old boats and cars since 1974 and I have never kept a receipt, log or journal. I've begged, borrowed, charged, traded for, and paid cash as a last resort for more parts for every project. In the end I either put the excess in storage as replacements or up for sale. At this point I have way more parts than I or anyone else could use in a life time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #29064 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: 1959 Trident restoration
Jack, I used to write poems about boats and boat building for a monthly newsletter, that poem just seemed appropriate for this thread. I agree, it is the "curse" of the hobbyist to accumulate parts for his hobby that never get used. I did not get into classic car restos tho I did build a dune buggy back in the 60's. My other extensive (expensive) hobby besides boats was building custom cruiser bicycles. After I filled up all available storage space I had to quit that. I did manage to sell a few and gave some away but I still have several bikes and lots and lots of parts. :blink:

-JR (Jerry)

More
1 year 6 months ago #29110 by 16again
16again replied the topic: 1959 Trident restoration
Jerry did you at one time mention that you had a tool for installing the brass drain tubes? If so could you take a picture of it so that maybe I can build one. Need to replace the ones on the Hallett Day Cruiser. Looking forward to the Hogback trip.
Jack

More
1 year 6 months ago #29111 by Jayarrgh
Jayarrgh replied the topic: 1959 Trident restoration

16again wrote: Jerry did you at one time mention that you had a tool for installing the brass drain tubes? If so could you take a picture of it so that maybe I can build one. Need to replace the ones on the Hallett Day Cruiser. Looking forward to the Hogback trip.
Jack

Jack, I don't remember mentioning installing brass drain tubes. :unsure: Perhaps it was someone else. :huh: Though I have done a few of those (3 on the Sunliner alone), I didn't use a special tool. Whether replacing an old tube or putting one in a new location, I coated the tube in plenty of epoxy putty and just pushed it into the hole by hand. I made sure the fit was loose enough that no tool was needed. This method has worked well for me, at least I never had one come out. ;) I should mention that I prefer a screw type drain plug mounted to the transom instead of the expanding rubber type inserted into the tube. That way there is no force applied to the drain tube that might work it loose. :dry:

-JR (Jerry)

The hogback run out to be a good one if it doesn't rain. More new Delta territory to explore!

More
1 year 6 months ago #29112 by gwbell
gwbell replied the topic: 1959 Trident restoration
Jack,

There are various tools out there if you do a web search. Here's one;
www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1022

I'd agree with Jerry to use some epoxy putty or 3M 5200.

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
JSN Metro template designed by JoomlaShine.com