× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon 1959 Trident restoration

• wuertz85220
  • wuertz85220's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #28527 by wuertz85220
1959 Trident restoration was created by wuertz85220
My short-term plans for the boat are to get it cleaned up and running so that I can take the family out on the lake. When I pulled up at home with the boat My three and five-year-old boys came running and screaming, "my dad got a new boat my dad got a new boat ."
As I started getting into the boat removing the seats so that I could shovel out the 20+ years of dirt that have piled up inside of it I decided that I would make little notes here as I go along.
Of course with all projects one simple task can turn into a headache. My most recent project was figuring out why my engine was locked up. I removed the lower unit of the outboard to inspect the impeller. I removed the three bolts that hold the cover on and needed a hammer and chisel to remove the cover. After about a cup and a half of sand poured out I realized why the engine was not turning. Basically from the impeller down to the shaft bearing had corroded and turned back into minerals. I had to drill and chip for about 3 hours in order to remove all of the corrosion and expose the bearing. Once I did the shaft and propeller spun freely. Lucky enough I found all the parts I needed for the lower unit.
I will add pictures in the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #28529 by gwbell
Replied by gwbell on topic 1959 Trident restoration
And so it begins... :)

Brings back memories when we got our Sedan. The kids were still small back then. We all did a dance singing, "We got a boat, we got a boat, we got a boat, yay yay yay yay!" Pic picking her up:

Please plan on documenting your restoration here with lots of pics. Everyone enjoys it, and gives you a good record of all the hard work you've done.

George
Attachments:

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #28534 by wuertz85220
Replied by wuertz85220 on topic 1959 Trident restoration
Thank you George. It's always fun to have the kids "help". Here are some pics of the boat and pieces of the impeller and other things.

Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #28537 by gwbell
WoW! That last picture is scary! Finding vintage Merc parts online is fairly easy, but can be pricey.

I'd really be interested to watch your continued efforts on that motor. A shame previous owner neglected it like that.

George

• wuertz85220
  • Junior Boater
  • Junior Boater
More
4 years 5 months ago #28539 by wuertz85220
Replied by wuertz85220 on topic 1959 Trident restoration
The first of the new parts arrives today. Found all of them and ended up costing me more than I paid ($150) for the entire boat! Still under $400 total so doing well. Upper end of motor looks good. Probably replace fuel and water lines and remove and clean carbs. Any suggestions of other things to check prior to starting?

Thank you George!!

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #28540 by gwbell

wuertz85220 wrote: The first of the new parts arrives today. Found all of them and ended up costing me more than I paid ($150) for the entire boat! Still under $400 total so doing well. Upper end of motor looks good. Probably replace fuel and water lines and remove and clean carbs. Any suggestions of other things to check prior to starting?

Thank you George!!

I hate to tell you, but by the time you're done with your restoration, you'll have spent many times over your purchase price. I tried not to share this too much with my wife when we were doing our boat... :pinch: :whistle:

Not an expert on the old Mercs, but I have worked on a few now. After you've installed the new water pump/impeller and just to see if you can get this beast running, here's what I would probably do: Check your wiring. The old Mercs are notorious for having cracked and brittle wiring. Just to get it started, I would make sure nothing is grounding out. You can fix/repair everything later. Pull your spark plugs and give them a good cleaning. While the plugs are out, I'd pour a little bit of Marvels Mystery Oil into each cylinder and then rotate the flywheel by hand. Reinstall your spark plugs. Hook up a well charged battery. The old Mercs require a lot of juice to crank the thing over. Connect your fuel line/tank and pump up the gas bulb till hard. You should be using at least a 50:1 fuel mix. Just to check this out, you don't need a lot of gas in the tank (< a gallon). Connect a hose bib and turn on the water. Then give it a shot. You may need a little starting fluid squirted directly into the carburetors, but use caution here.

If she does start, I wouldn't run it too long. Maybe just to see if she pees. I've dealt with motors that will fire up right away and others that require full diagnostics to figure out what's wrong. This is just to make an initial determination if the motor is worth further work. If she starts, I'd recommend going through everything (i.e. carbs, fuel pumps, wiring, etc.).

This assumes you have the controller/ignition key for the motor. If not, there are ways to use a remote starter and jump start her. If you're a strong buck, you could also try pull starting. Check your starter cord first to make sure you don't go flying across the boat if the rope breaks...

Good luck, and just be careful. Since this is a direct-reversing motor, make sure no one is standing near the propeller when trying to start her.

George

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds