× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Mama Mia! needs another coat

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #28104 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
George, I’ll tell you we debated leaving the chrome as is and decided to bite the bullet. Notice at the bases there is corrosion and I cringe at the thought of reinstalling it like that on the fresh shiny gel coat. If you recall we did everything on the cabin top a couple years ago so now will all be done.

Before

After

Eddie, Thanks for your input.

Have the entire rub rail off now and it was a bear. Got a feeling it will be a challenge to get back on too.

Need to find a suitable rivet. Probably just a modern style aluminum pop rivet.

Now fun starts with grinding off the old gel coat.

Interesting that under the pad there is no cracking in the gel coat and demonstrates the UV effect and results.

Gonna try to reuse the original nonskid pad on the deck. Can not find pieces large enough although Defender say the can special order from Lewmar in the UK.

Thanks,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #28105 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat

Terrydi wrote: Gonna try to reuse the original nonskid pad on the deck. Can not find pieces large enough although Defender say the can special order from Lewmar in the UK.

Uh, you mean that non skid stuff on the foredeck is a separate piece?? :ohmy: I thought it was molded into the deck. :blush: How did you ever get it loose? :blink:

-JR

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago #28106 by Terrydi
Hello JR,

The first Sedans had that nonskid material glued on rather than molded in as they did in later models.

Other guys have used this Treadmaster non-skid decking and it is a good replacement.

www.defender.com/expanded.jsp?path=-1|22...8|2276203&id=1495895

I thought for sure I would trash the old stuff taking it off but it peeled cleanly and left most of the contact cement on the boat. Cutting the new material perfectly would be difficult as well. The original looks like its die cut and other than a small split on the starboard side it’s in decent shape.

And keeping it original when possible is first in my book.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #28107 by Jayarrgh
Replied by Jayarrgh on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Terry, thanks for letting me know about the original non-skid material. I am glad to learn new information about the Seafair design and history. :)

-JR

• Terrydi
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #28162 by Terrydi
Question for Eddie G

Hello Eddie,

I would like to tax your memory here, if I may, and hoping you can help me out.

Just curious about the black stripe on the Seafair hull. I’ve heard of it referred to a whaling stripe and also a sheer line stripe.

I am in the process of recoating it and it appears to me it may have been applied on top or the white gelcoat.

Do you recall if that black line was actually first sprayed in the mold, and the white gel coat then applied over it, or was it applied after the hull was removed from the mold? It is a very thin coating and I can actually scrape it off with my finger nail and I’m thinking it might just be paint.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
4 years 8 months ago #28165 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Sheer,If you look at the shape of a boat from the side, The top of the hull often curves up (or rarely down) at the bow and stern. This is sheer. Usually the bow and stern are higher to maximize the freeboard at the bow and stern where the boat meets waves. The curve at the keel level is called rocker.
When looking at the boat hull from the side, sheer is the line where the hull meets the gunwale.
When prepping a Seafair hull for spraying, the Sheer line was masked, the hull was gel-coated white, you had just a few min. to peel off the masking tape than the sheer line was sprayed black and also the rest of the hull was sprayed black for back-up, it made it easier for the molders to lay-up or mold the hull and see any air voids.
This is what I remember, just my 2 cents worth.

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds