× Did you know you can have multiple images on a post?
Simply keep adding images until you are done. You may also "insert" an image into the post rather than just attaching it!

Topic-icon Mama Mia! needs another coat

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #28168 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Good Morning Eddie,

Your two cents is worth a million. And thanks for the insight in the marine terminology and hull process.

Let me be sure I fully understand what you are telling us.

The sheer line is masked off in the hull mold and then the white gel coat is sprayed. The masking is removed and black gel coat is sprayed and covers not only the sheer line but all the white which had previously been sprayed. And the fiberglass layup would start over the black gel coat.

That helps explain a question I had when I did the cabin top last year. As I sanded down the white gel coat I found black gel coat below it before I got to the glass. It was explained to me by others that it was common to use black for back-up as you mention.

My thought was that the black gel coat could have had something to do with the black horizontal stripes which can be seen in pictures of the prototype Sedans.

I painted them in here on Mama Mia! just for fun. What do you think?

Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• edwardgrijalva6020
  • Expert Boater
  • Expert Boater
More
4 years 7 months ago #28171 by edwardgrijalva6020
Replied by edwardgrijalva6020 on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Yep, that is the way it was done, and those stripes seem to give the cabin more class.

More
4 years 7 months ago #28178 by rjcullis
Replied by rjcullis on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
I see you have the secondary pole that runs around the top of the windscreen in place. What was the purpose of this pole?

Thanks,
Richard

More
4 years 7 months ago #28184 by fiberchris
Replied by fiberchris on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
may I ask what kind of finish you plan on using? I am prepping for painting and am leaning towards Interlux Brightside 1 part epoxy, I will primer as well. If there is a better option, I am all ears. I am not a skilled finisher, so two part most likely is above my ability, as well as gel coat.

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dang Crazy Boater
  • Dang Crazy Boater
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #28185 by Terrydi
Replied by Terrydi on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Thanks Eddie,

I’m thinking out in Nashville on what was probably one of the first Sedans built there they may have missed a step. As I mentioned and you can see in this picture there is white gel coat below the black.

I have a suspicion that as thin as the coat appears to be that they simply painted it on. So now to keep it original I can simply paint it back on and I’m OK with that.

Hello JR,

The original Sedan convertible tops were made up with 3 tubes. The forward tube attached to the windscreen on each side and center and the canvass was wrapped around it.

The fitting here is where the first and last tubes attach and the middle hinges off the last.

Fiberchris,

Yes of course you may ask. We be gellin.

My goal in restoring Mama Mia! was to keep her as original as possible and that means gel coat. Early on I did use some paint on the splash well and had good results with an acrylic lacquer. But I hear that is old school and the best thing now to use are the polyurethanes. But as I mentioned earlier I will probably repaint the sheer stripe so I need to take a lesson on paint as well.

Got lots grinding done and down to the glass on about 80% of the flat surfaces on the deck with an RO sander. What's that old saying? Something about the last 20% takes 80% of the time.

Lots of nooks and crannies yet to be done by hand.

Thanks All,
Terry

More
4 years 7 months ago #28261 by rjcullis
Replied by rjcullis on topic Mama Mia! needs another coat
Always good to see the great work on Mama Mia. Thank you for the write up on the poles for the canvas I have never quite fully understood that before.

Richard

Moderators: gwbellglassparman.admin
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds